Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Prime lens needed-recommendations??
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:52 pm    Post subject: Prime lens needed-recommendations?? Reply with quote

I'm new to this forum ,and I need some help .
Can you recommend a lens in the 50mm f1.4,or f1.2 ,that can can use with adapter on a Canon 5DII.
I recently purchased a Zeiss C/Y 50mm f1.7,but had to return it to the seller, due to mirror slap
I would prefer a F1.2,but am open to any /all suggestions.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks
Mike

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Carl Zeiss 50/1.7 is a great lens but it needs a perfect adapter to work (one which is slightly too thin will allow it to hit the mirror on a 5D). I also understand that the MM version of the lens is less likely to work on a full frame Canon DSLR (can anyone else confirm?). I don't have any issues with my AE version.

Or...grab a 50/1.4 Planar Smile

Anyway, I'm a Zeiss junkie, so I would say that Laughing

P.s. Welcome to the forum.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
... I also understand that the MM version of the lens (50/1.7) is less likely to work on a full frame Canon DSLR (can anyone else confirm?).

Here's a link to a reliable Canon body/Contax lens compatability list:

http://www.pebbleplace.com/Personal/Contax_db.html

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I would say get a 50/1.4 AE or MM.

JJ

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjphoto wrote:
Yeah, I would say get a 50/1.4 AE or MM.
JJ

I don't have problem with my 1.7MM or 1.4MM on 5DII
Orio had a problem with the 1.4, the aperture didn't close when mounted on the 5DII
he buy a new ZE and he is very happy with it
not the cheapest solution but it have many advantage

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:38 pm    Post subject: Lens recommendations?? Reply with quote

What about Nikon or Olympus.
I know these will fit on the 5DII..

Was looking at an Olympus 50mm f1.4,price seems very reasonable,but I've been told,with the Olympus 50,I should try to get one with a serial number of 1 million or more..this one has #531107.
Why the need for one with a serial number over 1 million???
Are these re-designed lenses??

Any further recommendations/opinions?,would be appreciated,

Thanks for all your replies,
Mike

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Latest versions are multi-coated and people always prefer that even if single coated just do job same well. I did one of my best photo in my life with single-coated Olympus 50mm f1.4.

Olympus OM 50mm f1.4 Kea in Budapest Zoo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Latest versions are multi-coated and people always prefer that even if single coated just do job same well. I did one of my best photo in my life with single-coated Olympus 50mm f1.4.

Olympus OM 50mm f1.4 Kea in Budapest Zoo

An excellent shot with stunning quality. Shocked

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:42 am    Post subject: lens recommendation Reply with quote

Attila,Thanks for your reply,am amazing image
So,I take it that after serial number 1 million, the lenses were multi coated?
Any optical changes ?

Thanks
Mike

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So,I take it that after serial number 1 million, the lenses were multi coated?

The Multicoating process started before the 1 millionth serial number. You can use this site for reference:
http://brashear.phys.appstate.edu/lhawkins/photo/mc-sc.survey
Quote:

Any optical changes ?

Like Zeiss, im of the understanding that Olympus made minor adjustments to the lens throughout its lifespan. The lens with a serial number over 1 million is generally said to be the sharpest/highest resolution of the bunch, but I think the bokeh suffers a little in compensation.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A vote for Nikon: I've been quite happy with my Nikkor AIs 50mm f/1.4 on my Canon. Very sharp, good contrast, decent bokeh even with its 7-bladed aperture iris.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:33 pm    Post subject: lens recommendations Reply with quote

Goombles,Cootouch,
Thanks for you replies.

clarification and link about the Oly serial numbers,very useful link.
Out of almost all the people I've asked,the nikon 50mm f1.4 ais has been recommended the most.
I have a bid on one now.....seems to be a extremely popular piece of glass
I have another Nikon..micro..55mm Nikor f2.8..it is a stellar performer

Thanks for all your help,
Mike