Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Cosina Auto-Topcor 58mm F1.4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:36 am    Post subject: Cosina Auto-Topcor 58mm F1.4 Reply with quote

This is to show some aspect of this lens (same as Cosina NOKTON 58/1.4 SL II), not gallery quality.
Mine is M42-mount one, looks like old UV TOPCOR 58/1.4 from TOPCON. I guess Mr. K loved this lens.

The first one probably at f4, the second @f1.4, the third @f1.4, the forth @f5.6, and the last @f1.4.
I intentionally included the morning sun in the second shot, the lens is fairly flare resistant. The first shot has a nice bokeh better than at wide open.

That is all for today.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks great. I did not know that here is a modern version in M42. Am I mistaken ? Is this an old lens or a modern Cosina offering?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Koji refers to this one:
Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And this is the "cheap" Laughing m42 version:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another wow factor from Nokton...

DO you have some details of this design... How these guys are able to make this great lens... I am for this design. Most of the modern lenses gave horrible bokeh, but this... no words...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ballu wrote:
Another wow factor from Nokton...

DO you have some details of this design... How these guys are able to make this great lens... I am for this design. Most of the modern lenses gave horrible bokeh, but this... no words...

This is the optical scheme of the Nokton:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice pics, I like #1#4

Alessandro wrote:
And this is the "cheap" m42 version

wow! a real bargain!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A G Photography wrote:
And this is the "cheap" Laughing m42 version:

What would you expect for a luxury lens, limited edition of 800 pieces?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Explanation of why Cosina made a lens based on the Topcor.

photos of the Cosina topcor 58mm and photos taken with it

photozone.de review of the Cosina SL2 Nokton (first version, overexposure problem)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, while I was in sleep everyone answered questions.
I bought this lens pretty early, serial number is only #4! Cool
It costed $500 a promotional price for a brand new 2003 Nov.

It has a traditional long 58mm FL, there is not much of
design difficulty IMHO, that is why the lens performs well.
And Mr. Kobayashi wanted to leave some spherical aberration
at wide open a little to mimic the old Topcor.

Cosina makes quite nice lenses today, unfortunately price of
newer lens is getting higher. Sad

one more (this morning)

Last edited by koji on Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

koji wrote:
Wow, while I was in sleep everyone answered questions.
I bought this lens pretty early, serial number is only #4! Cool
It costed $500 a promotional price for a brand new 2003 Nov.

Cosina makes quite nice lenses today, unfortunately price of
newer lens is getting higher. Sad

Not sure if the prices are getting higher but yesterday I payed for my brand new Voigtlander Nokton SL-II only $379USD.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cosina made Voigtlanders are almost legendary at this point. I really love my 90/3.5 and I know there are a couple of other Voigtlander enthusiasts on the forum

patrickh

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to Koji for sharing these wonderful pictures taken with the "Topcor" and thanks to Chris for the interesting links. Here's a quote from Stephen Gandy's Cameraquest website regarding the first version of the Cosina "Topcor" lens:
Quote:
December 2003: Ok folks, some things are stranger than fiction. Mr. Kobayashi likes his Topcon Super D of 1963 enough to style Voigtlander's new silver Bessaflex after it, even producing a Topcon style 58/1.4 complete with the Topcon engraving. Mr. Kobayashi received the blessings of Tokyo Optical, which is still in business manufacturing medical equipment.

The new 58/1.4 Topcor is a new optical design and is styled after the classic 58/1.4 Topcor, even down to the Topcor's bayonet on lens hood. These are limited edition lenses, with 800 each announced to be produced in Pentax 42mm screw mount and Nikon AI mount. The lens barrel is out of place in today's plastic lens world, with real classic style chrome, looking just like it came off Topcon's production line in the 1960's. The lens barrel is beautifully made, and rather amazing in the "find any way to make it cheaper" manufacturing times. Side by side the new Topcor is a bit smaller than the original, so the hoods will not interchange. Specs: 7 elements in 6 groups, multi-coated, f/1.4 to f/16, 9 aperture leaves, 58mm filter size, close focus to .45 meter or 1:5.8, weight 305 grams (Nikon).

This confirms that the Cosina lens was only inspired by the 1963 Topcon lens styling and optical properties, but with a new optical formula.

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes, it costs $379 in US today at QC. I am talking about prices in general for Cosina's offerings these days.
The price of this very lens is quite reasonable, far less expensive than Leica's of course. Maybe I should get one
of Nikon mount so that I do not have to stop-down metering, that I am doing many many years. Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

koji wrote:
one more (this morning)

beauty beautiful!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got one of these, and can't wait to try it out. It's in Nikon mount.
I did read that only 800 of these were manufactured. How could one tell from the serial number? Mine is 94200056.

It's a real piece of art, made mostly of metal except the rubber focus ring. I like Cosina Voigtlander's new metallic focus ring better, but the rubber focus ring does complement the chrome body aesthetically.