Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

The "Black Knob" PC-Nikkor 35mm f/2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:43 am    Post subject: The "Black Knob" PC-Nikkor 35mm f/2.8 Reply with quote

I think I need an intervention.....

They were on sale at adorama.....

169usd for an EXE- black knob version PC-nikkor 35mm f/2.8

It came into my head last night, before I saw the sale.

I got a tilt adapter for nikon and was actually able to sell the following shots

These are straight out of the camera, no PP.

Here was the setup, though I used a 50mm f/1.4

Then last night I was thinking...

what if I attached a shift lens to the adapter????

Am I crazy?

Last edited by uhoh7 on Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:08 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soon you'll be able to do a selfie without a mirror. Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't you need a larger format lens to account for that much shift?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBaker wrote:
Soon you'll be able to do a selfie without a mirror. Very Happy

haha

I'm hoping to go beyond the typical "miniature effect" and super narrow pof and deep but really narrow DOF, as seen above, to possibly very deep DOF for landscape work.

Anyway it should be fun to play with.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the black knob hasn't yet arrived but I was out at another shoot with my tilt.....

Kettle Bell Class

Nex-5, Nikon 50mm f/1.4, Kipon tilt adapter.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the not so black knob arrived today

I've got two questions,

First the easy one, I ordered this lens, serial 878xxx F-mount, from adorama, where was it advertised as the "black Knob" version, which is AIS and much newer-- of course they didn't give the serial.

Go it today, and of course was not amused--silver knob, not as good. However this was a "sale" and the lens price was 169USD. The lens condition is actually quite good, some scuffs on the barrel, no dents, and the glass is absoulutely pristine. Focus and aperture are smooth.

I can complain, but they will say: send it back for a refund. I'm looking at PC-Nikkor prices and the AIS versions are going for at least 300 at you know where.

So, question 1: should I keep it? Seems like I could easily resell it later for at least at this price if I don't like it.

Question 2: I'm using the lens with a tilt-adapter, made by kippon, so I have a tilt/shift lens. I'm looking to create very deep DOF. With the tilt adapter only, you swing it to the side and get a slice, say 10% vertical, which has a very deep DOF. But alot is out of focus, obviously.

SO I'm hoping to bring much more of the image into focus by adding the shift.

SO, which way do I tilt and which way do I shift for max DOF?

I know, shut up and play with it. But hints! Give me hints!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if mechanics and glass is o.k., keep it. I also have one with the "forbidden serial no´s" of Nikon´s newer camera manuals. These are the cheaper ones, but i took off the back colar and use it without any problems. it is only like the no AI lenses, that you bend the aperture lever in the camera, if you do not take the collar off. The former ones, before AIs hat one element more than the AIs - don´t know, if shat shows in pictures.