Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon EOS300D and Optix V5 chipped M42 adaptor
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:59 am    Post subject: Canon EOS300D and Optix V5 chipped M42 adaptor Reply with quote

Unlike most of my fellow forum members I think I am from the opposite side: film user (even calotype if the need arises) and wrestling with button-covered digital cameras.

I have inherited a Canon EOS300D camera body and an Optix V5 chipped M42 adaptor from my publishers office, so that I can access my M42 lenses. I tried it with a few of my lenses and found that focussing is a little off, when using the focus confirm feature (green light on at the bottom right hand corner).

Reading up the Optix instructions I can programme the chip to put in not only lens focal length and maximum aperture data (which is no big deal as I am using a lens pretty close to its default settings anyway), but I can fine-tune the focussing accuracy as per focus confirm feature as well.

Problem is: the instructions appear to be geared towards later models of EOS digital cameras. It says, enter basic setting mode by pressing DOF preview button three times, then the chip can be programmed. However, the 300D appears not to have this function, and I do not know how to achieve this.

I would greatly appreciate any help with this. Thank you.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Canon EOS300D and Optix V5 chipped M42 adaptor Reply with quote

Seele wrote:
Unlike most of my fellow forum members I think I am from the opposite side: film user (even calotype if the need arises) and wrestling with button-covered digital cameras.

I have inherited a Canon EOS300D camera body and an Optix V5 chipped M42 adaptor from my publishers office, so that I can access my M42 lenses. I tried it with a few of my lenses and found that focussing is a little off, when using the focus confirm feature (green light on at the bottom right hand corner).

Reading up the Optix instructions I can programme the chip to put in not only lens focal length and maximum aperture data (which is no big deal as I am using a lens pretty close to its default settings anyway), but I can fine-tune the focussing accuracy as per focus confirm feature as well.

Problem is: the instructions appear to be geared towards later models of EOS digital cameras. It says, enter basic setting mode by pressing DOF preview button three times, then the chip can be programmed. However, the 300D appears not to have this function, and I do not know how to achieve this.

I would greatly appreciate any help with this. Thank you.

Your 300D should have the DOF preview button which is located near the lens release button. Pree it three times within a short duration. Do you mean your chip cannot be programmed? Try to remove your adaptor and install it again to your camera. If the problem still exist, you may need to replace the chip.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that press DOF preview three times to get into basic setting method does not apply to the EOS300D, but correct for later models. I wonder if I should just borrow a later one from a friend to set up the chip.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seele wrote:
I think that press DOF preview three times to get into basic setting method does not apply to the EOS300D, but correct for later models. I wonder if I should just borrow a later one from a friend to set up the chip.

I was told some old camera may not be compatible with their chip when I bought the old optix af chip with adjustable aperture at their shop in Hong Kong. See if any member here can help.