Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Recommend a tripod
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:54 pm    Post subject: Recommend a tripod Reply with quote

Hi

More beginners questions I'm afraid...

I've been looking at tripods and wondered what would fit the bill.

I have all the gear for video work including a very large, very heavy fluid head tripod which is completely unsuitable for any stills work.

To be honest I don't think I will use a tripod for stills very often, if at all, but it would be nice just to have one just in case. If it's not going to be used, obviously I don't want to spend a lot of money!

Any recommendations? I've been looking on the bay of evil but there looks to be a lot of Far Eastern "bargains" that could well turn out to be dogs. Which brands should I be looking out for and which to avoid?

Thanks

ps. At the moment I'm trying to get by with Bilora Biloret which is possibly older than me and just as weak.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Feisol. Very happy with.

http://www.feisol.com/english/feisolen.htm

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two one Velbon for digital cameras, it has small sections fit into my bag pack and stable enough for single 35mm cameras , folder cameras.

Another one strong Amvona made carbon fiber legs with huge head for heavy gears. Amvona is out of production. This tripod also very light weight thank for carbon fire legs. None of them useful for macro shoots.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a Gitzo 1415, bought three years ago when the new line of black Gitzo tripods came out (so i bought it as an "old stock" item at highly discounted price Wink ). It's a bit heavy, but it is rock stable with my Tamron 70-350 and with my Orestegor 300 ...
Suitable for ground level (macro) pictures when you remove the central column.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a Benro:
BENRO A-358 m8 Aluminium Tripod A-358m8
Its well made and was bought for gimbal mount (also a Benro) to handle Tamron 300mm f2.8, Bigma etc.
cheers
bb2

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions - at least I know what I'm looking for now.

Has anyone had any success with a GorillaPod?