Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Soligor C/D 135mm f/2.0 m42 mount
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:41 pm    Post subject: Soligor C/D 135mm f/2.0 m42 mount Reply with quote

I picked this lens up at a pawn shop for...well, for 10 bucks. From what I can understand, it's a very good lens that's a bit soft and lacks some contrast wide open, but makes a great portrait/low light lens. I'm trying to figure out what the market for something like this is. I'm thinking about selling (I have a crop camera, and I don't need a prime this long). I've seen a couple on Ebay for around 500, but that seems like wishful thinking. Honestly there just isn't much info on this guy. It's a huge melon of a lens, that's for sure. I posted something similar over on Fred Miranda and that's basically where I got all the info I know. I'd be happy to hear anything else you might know.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have the same one, i've paid for it 250$ last year (shipping included) over eBay.
it's Tokina made

Everybody complaining that it is soft wide open are missing the point of this lens's fast aperture - it's made for low light shooting, off course it will be soft in full daylight

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I paid 155USD for one on ebay recently, in EXE condition.

From what I gather, there is considerable variation in copies, and they suffer when beat up.

That said it's wonderful lens, and you may be able to sell it for 150+, if you are carefull in your description and make some good images of the lens.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

make it an auction with starting price of 150$ and see what happens

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a lens I wouldn't mind adding to my collection. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to sell really , try around 300 USD. 500 USD range is dedicated for Nikon 135mm f2 which is a way better lens than this one.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did as suggested. It should go active in the next hour or so. Starting price is 150.00, buy it now set at 350.00. Thanks for all your help!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a T-mount 135mm f/1.8 Spiratone that just closed on eBay for $141 a few hours ago. I bid on it but I was too cheap. Smile It had a couple of very small spots of fungus, which might have accounted for its low final price.

I checked eBay just now for the Soligor 135mm f/2 and found a couple of current listings for about $500 and one completed listing where it didn't sell for about $500. So this is definitely not a realistic price. It isn't a realistic price for the old generic 135mm f/1.8's either. It is my opinion, based on a lot of observation, that these old fast 135s are so expensive now because of the new Zeiss and Sony 135s. eBay sellers figure the old ones should be expensive just because the new ones are. Back when I was a camera dealer in the early 90s, I was lucky to get $80-100 for one. There was just no interest in them.

I believe $150 would be a fair opening amount for your lens, Jason. It's sure to get at least one bid, and most likely more. It will be interesting to see where the bidding winds up because that will represent the true market value for that optic in that condition for this time of year in this economic climate. Cool

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fast lenses that are soft wide open seem pointless to me so I'd sell.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to bid on your lens, but you don't ship to Europe? Surprised

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry! No, I don't ship to Europe. My wife is the big ebayer, and she's in Hawaii with a friend for vacation. I was lucky that I could figure out how to put pictures up!!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might suggest that a shipping relay could be set up if someone from Europe wanted to bid on it. Namely, it could be shipped to a member here, who will then ship it to Europe.

I did that this past summer for a forum member who bought a camera off Amazon. They wouldn't ship to New Zealand for some reason, so he had it shipped to me, then I shipped it to him. After I got to play around with it for a couple of days. Cool

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jasonpatrick122 wrote:
Sorry! No, I don't ship to Europe. My wife is the big ebayer, and she's in Hawaii with a friend for vacation. I was lucky that I could figure out how to put pictures up!!

If you wan't to advertise your lens here , my polite request to ship worldwide. Don't exclude any member of us.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My apologies! I'll make sure I learn what I need to for international shipping next time. I'm newer to the manual focus world and appreciate all the insight I've picked up just from reading in the forums.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
I might suggest that a shipping relay could be set up if someone from Europe wanted to bid on it. Namely, it could be shipped to a member here, who will then ship it to Europe.

This won't work with ebay since internatinal bidder cannot even bid on such items. So it requires that a member from this forum will buy the lens and ship it outside the USA. By the way if there is a volunteer to do this I am already watching some lens and just have my mouth watered Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is it rare?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:

If you think it's soft wide open, you're out of focus---which is easy because the DOF at f/2 is very tight.

Contrast is a bit flat at f/2 but a good copy is quite sharp.

Sharpness--same settings no PP

bigger:
http://g4.img-dpreview.com/CC87218A0BAD4ED3A93C3EF3AEFE331A.jpg
100%

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It went for just 150$ in the US Crying or Very sad
Give me a call if you suddenly find out that this lens is "faulty" Wink

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:

My view on fast lenses, aside from the narrow depth of field that so many people seem to like, even if over used, is that the benefit comes from brighter viewing and presumably easier focusing. Additionally, this fast lens is already close down a stop at f/2.8, where most lenses of this focal length start out, and may perform better at the aperture than the lens that's wide open at f/2.8. With all else equal, I would expect a f/2.8 lens to perform better wide open than a f/2 wide open, but both at f/2.8?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently inheritied a nikon 135 f/2.8 ai, so at some point I'll try to do some comparisons. The nikon seems extremely sharp in test shots.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have the lens. The Ebay transaction fell through.

Turns out I was out of focus when I was testing at f/2. I was relying a bit too much on the "focus confirmation". there's a bit of a range there and this lens focuses at the far end (toward infinity) of the range. It's actually pretty sharp wide open.

I have the lens listed at fredmiranda.com. I haven't listed anything for sale here yet.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jasonpatrick122 wrote:
I still have the lens. The Ebay transaction fell through.

Turns out I was out of focus when I was testing at f/2. I was relying a bit too much on the "focus confirmation". there's a bit of a range there and this lens focuses at the far end (toward infinity) of the range. It's actually pretty sharp wide open.

I have the lens listed at fredmiranda.com. I haven't listed anything for sale here yet.

I'm still interested Wink

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay, I got it:-)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn! Enjoy it. Very Happy