Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Thoughts on the Zodiak 8 (f3.5/30mm)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:15 pm    Post subject: Thoughts on the Zodiak 8 (f3.5/30mm) Reply with quote

Does anyone have any thoughts on the zodiak 8?
Has anyone used it?
Any information would be great Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic! Surprisingly sharp for a fish eye. My avatar is actually taken with this lens: http://forum.mflenses.com/zodiak-arsat-30mm-kiev-88-fuji-acros-self-t28908,highlight,%2Bkiev+%2B88.html It really is only worth it if you're using it on a kiev or pentacon camera though.

This quote was taken from the Kievaholic Klub website:
"In fact, the price of Kiev lenses is what probably what attracted many Kievaholics in the first place. The existence of the superb 30mm fisheye lens alone has probably sold quite a few Kiev cameras. Many people (yes, pros included) have bought a Kiev body just to be able to use this $200 (or so) lens. To put it in perspective, the 30mm Distagon for a Hasselblad goes for about $5,000. Does the Distagon produce noticeably better photographs? Maaaaaybe. Is it $4,800 better? Hmmm."

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely a great lens, but still a fisheye.

You need to make sure that you know what you want to do with it.
Shoot it on medium format? OK.
Shoot it adapted to DLSR? Then you will lose some of the fisheye effect.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick reply, I'm asking because I've stumbled upon one for really cheap, completely working in EXC+++ condition...
Costs a little under 180$ Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using that lens on a 5D is a bit like shooting with a Peleng 3.5/8 on an APS DSLR. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boki wrote:
Thanks for the quick reply, I'm asking because I've stumbled upon one for really cheap, completely working in EXC+++ condition...
Costs a little under 180$ Very Happy

Hmm. I picked one up for $90, and it came with an M42 adapter attached. The adapter alone can cost some $40-50, so...