Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

The Night I Said AF Lenses Goodbye
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:10 am    Post subject: The Night I Said AF Lenses Goodbye Reply with quote

I'd like to present some images I made at the end of December. The location is Horst Castle (click: French wikipedia), about 30min by bike from my home. I like to go there for photographical inspiration. Every time the same place, but every time I see it slightly different. The whole story can be seen on my zenfolio-website.

But here I only like to present some images I created at the end of December. It was pure suffering, but to the extent it gave me much joy afterwards. It was -10°C that night and a skin-cutting wind came from the north. Since nearly all images are composites of multiple images (panoramics or star trails), I was standing still for considerable time and was litterally freezing my ass off. But the night gave me alot of frustration as well, especially because of my bad lens choice. I took only 14-24mm and 24-70mm with me, to "keep it light". That was a bad choice, even worse because I already knew that the 24-70mm sucks for making panoramics in the dark. So this night is also the night that I decided to only leave the house with a bag full of MF primes - the best option for making panoramic images IMHO.

Blablabla blablabla. Ah yes, photos:

If you go to the gallery on my zenfolio-website, you can also read the technical details (ISO, number of images, ...)

Last edited by fotomachi on Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These images are amazing! Absolutely gorgeous!
Thanks for sharing them!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Thanks for sharing them!

+10 Shocked fantastic!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked

Wow! Unbelievable!
How did you do that?

It's HDR, but how ...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's HDR, but how ...

It's most definitely NOT HDR... All you need in photography is good light. That rule is valid both during the day as it is during the night.
During daytime, you hope for a good quality of sunlight.
During nighttime, you hope for a good quality of moonlight.
Browse through the gallery if you like. The technical details are there, but keep an eye on the light.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Thanks for sharing them!

Indeed AMAZING Shocked ...
and your AF lenses have done a pretty good job Very Happy .....

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not HDR?
That's even more amazing!

I must admit that I cannot really believe it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazing! Shocked

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

excellent photos!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pich900 wrote:
LucisPictor wrote:
Thanks for sharing them!

Indeed AMAZING Shocked ...
and your AF lenses have done a pretty good job Very Happy .....

Yes, by the way: looking at the pictures, I really don't see what's the problem with your AF lenses Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! I'm speechless. Shocked

The first startrails photo is phenomenal.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent - beautiful photographs! Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic images!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had similar night success with my Canon XTi and Mod 1 50mm 1.8 at 8 seconds ISO 200 in full moonlight. The subject matter of course does not compare. I want to try more at longer exposure as mine had very little DOF wide open. The sensor of, at least a Canon DSLR, works well past Sunset.

Keep up the good work !

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Light conditions are indeed perfect. I really like the 2nd for this, great work.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pictures!
I can`t see the problem with AF lenses.
Enlight us please.
Meself is very happy with my 24-70 mm L.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: The Night I Said AF Lenses Goodbye Reply with quote

fotomachi wrote:
I'd like to present some images I made at the end of December. The location is Horst Castle (click: French wikipedia), about 30min by bike from my home. I like to go there for photographical inspiration. Every time the same place, but every time I see it slightly different. The whole story can be seen on my zenfolio-website.

But here I only like to present some images I created at the end of December. It was pure suffering, but to the extent it gave me much joy afterwards. It was -10°C that night and a skin-cutting wind came from the north. Since nearly all images are composites of multiple images (panoramics or star trails), I was standing still for considerable time and was litterally freezing my ass off. But the night gave me alot of frustration as well, especially because of my bad lens choice. I took only 14-24mm and 24-70mm with me, to "keep it light". That was a bad choice, even worse because I already knew that the 24-70mm sucks for making panoramics in the dark. So this night is also the night that I decided to only leave the house with a bag full of MF primes - the best option for making panoramic images IMHO.

Blablabla blablabla. Ah yes, photos:

http://fotomachi.mx/img/s1/v22/p837538393.jpg

nice pix!

why the sudden cut off of blue here covering just the top of the tree and the rest is a totally diff color? what software do you use for pp?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There obviously is nothing wrong with the AF lenses. It's only that handling them in the dark is not easy, especially at -10ºC. Many primes don't focus beyond infinity. The 24-70 does, and so it's not easy to get the focus right.

For PP, I use LR and PS. The colour gradients are due to atmospheric conditions. I can't tell you why because I don't know, but when it's very cold, gradients seem to be more "intense". Also keep in mind the presence of light polution.