Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

My new monster 180-410 AETNA ROKUNAR
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:00 am    Post subject: My new monster 180-410 AETNA ROKUNAR Reply with quote

I got this beast of Ebay, it's a little soft but my results were better than expected.

I have more examples if anyone is interested. I ran these through Lightroom as I was shooting RAW

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last one is very nice. Timed very good; sharpness isn't everything!

Last edited by Minolfan on Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the last one ....like a shadow surfing...i like it

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, an interesting "sleeper," it would appear. The lens is T-mount, right?

I too like the last photo, although the others are nice too. The last one demonstrates the lens's resolving power a bit better, though.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope it is M42 mount

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LArifleMAN wrote:
Nope it is M42 mount

No, it's actually T-mount.

Just because a lens has a 42mm thread, does NOT automatically make it "M42." If the mount itself either screws off or is fastened onto the lens via three (or so) set screws, it is T-mount. If not, well.. there you go.

There are two primary differences between M42 and the T-mount: A.) the thread pitch of the M42 mount is 1.0, the T-mount's thread pitch is a finer 0.75 pitch. B.) the register distance of the M42 mount is roughly 45.46mm, the T-mount is (typically) 55mm.

Last edited by Andrew G. on Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooooh, OK gotcha. I'm not the best at taking things apart and then putting them back together again lol.

Thanks for the compliments. I am trying to slowly improve my MF lens performance and aptitude.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful shot of the translucent wave ! You caught that effect beautifully.

I have one of these. Its made by Sun in at least two versions. Mine is exactly like yours, and also in the Aetna Rokunar brand. Its a T-mount preset.

I was not very interested in posting an article after I was disappointed by the results. It is quite soft and its difficult to focus correctly besides because of the degree of aberrations makes it hard to find critical focus. I though that maybe this was a problem with my copy, because other Sun zooms are much better - the 80-240/4 is particularly good - but it seems this performance issue may apply to all of these 180-400's.

But on the other hand I found it is rather good from an ergonomic point of view, quite pleasant to use handheld and one of the few zooms I liked actually zooming with. It was easy to get a shot framed. Focused and sharp, not so much.

Some of mine -

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, heck, Luis, that eagle looks pretty sharp to me.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
WIts made by Sun in at least two versions. Mine is exactly like yours, and also in the Aetna Rokunar brand. Its a T-mount preset.

Also sold under Soligor name
What is interesting (and explains medium quality) is that the lens is ONLY 11 elements in only 7 groups) when most telezooms are usually 12/13 elements in 9 groups