Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

An interesting Helios 40 vs Jupiter 9 comparision
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:17 am    Post subject: An interesting Helios 40 vs Jupiter 9 comparision Reply with quote

I found that page a while ago and I think it's worth reading if you're interested in these lenses. It's originally in French, I don't know if the translation is accurate, but there are lots of pics there anyway Very Happy

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.monuniverspentax.com%2Ftest_helios_jupiter%2Ftest_helios_jupiter.html

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, pulatom. Good read. I like them both but the Jupiter is more affordale, maybe because it does not eat bread!
Razz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link.
The problem with comparisons like this one is that the "testers" normally only have ONE copy of each lens. So, what if his copy of the Helios was a particularly good one and his copy of the Jupiter was a lemon?

It might be that the Helios is better but I don't think that my J9 behaves as badly as that tester's one. And I perfer the J9 because of its size and weight as well.

Last edited by LucisPictor on Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jupiter 9s are known to have fairly wide-ranging copy variance. It is certainly plausible that this tester had a poor copy. Many people, including myself, have found the older chrome m39 copies to be sharper. This is true especially wide open.

The performance difference between my Helios 40 and Helios 40-2 is hard to nail down. I can really only tell them apart if used with color film, as the 40 has a slight yellow cast. I would imagine that because this was designed as a sort of "elite-class" portrait lens and because production numbers were smaller when compared to the Jupiter 9 that quality control was just a bit better.

They have completely different signatures when used wide open. I think anyone would prefer the size and weight of the jupiter but you're looking for the Helios swirl, you won't get it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally use J9 most of the time, and switch to Helios (well, Cyclop actually) only when I have a taste for some swirl Razz. J9 is lighter and smaller, so it's better for "normal" shoots Very Happy.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting test, I'm glad there are alternatives to the Helios, now that it costs so much to get it.

Speaking of swirl, am I right in thinking that the Helios 44-x 58/2 produces a similar bokeh swirl? It's a much cheaper alternative especially if used with an APS-C sensor.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

valli wrote:
Interesting test, I'm glad there are alternatives to the Helios, now that it costs so much to get it.

Speaking of swirl, am I right in thinking that the Helios 44-x 58/2 produces a similar bokeh swirl? It's a much cheaper alternative especially if used with an APS-C sensor.

In a sense that a swirl is a swirl, but these lenses are very different.
The focussing distance area where H40 swirls is greater than the H44.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried already about five Jupiters-9. The copy in test looks like true lemon in comparison to some of the better copies of J9.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a bad article. Shame that the H40 is now stupid money.