Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Porst (Balda) Hapo 45 6x9 folder
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:59 am    Post subject: Porst (Balda) Hapo 45 6x9 folder Reply with quote

I just repaired and sold this one -

A pretty standard roll-film viewfinder folder from about 1936 as best I can tell. Every maker of the day (Zeiss, Voigtlander, Welta, Balda, Ihagee, Nagel, etc.) had a line of cameras just like this, with different models differing mainly in the shutters and lenses.

The best ones would have had the Deckel Compur, plus a 4-element Tessar, Xenar, Skopar, etc. , with front-cell focus. Maybe even a five-element lens like the Heliar.

The second-best (like this) would have had a lesser shutter OR a lesser lens, so this one has a Schneider Radionar triplet. It could also have had a Gauthier shutter (Ibsor/Prontor)

The lowest categories would have had the triplet lens and the Gauthier shutter, or even lesser.

The interesting parts of course are the red bellows, which are quite unusual on German folders of this period, and the fact that it was made for Porst - hence Hapo 45 - Ha(ns) Po(rst). Camera makers were making cameras for distributors labels for a very long time. I believe Balda also made these in its own brand as the Balda Pontina.

I suppose it was "45" because it is a dual 6x9 and 4.5x9 format, unfortunately it did not have the 4.5x6 film gate mask. A lot of these had the same dual format. Some are 6x6 instead of 4.5x6.

I am getting quite confident in servicing the dial-set and the early rim-set Compur shutters, which was the original problem with this one, which was stuck when I got it. Disassembly and a little clean and lube, and it was firing reliably again.

Samples - I just shot one roll

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Luis,
It's beautiful and pictures are really very nice.
I doubt a modern dslr could give such BW results.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some time ago I purchased one because I wanted to use the Radionar on my DSLR. Just one like yours (SK Radionar and Compur shutter), but with black bellows. Surprisingly the camera appeared to be fully functional, so I put a roll in it, instead of taking it apart. There was no inlay for 4.5x6 in it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work, and yes the red bellows went out of fashion in the 1910s Wink

I'm still working my way up to taking apart one of these shutters, I really ought to learn.