Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

homemade automated macro rail stacker
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:58 pm    Post subject: homemade automated macro rail stacker Reply with quote

This is well beyond my DIY capabilities but fun to look at - a homemade, programmable macro rail that automatically advances in configurable intervals and triggers the camera for you.

http://www.diyphotography.net/create-an-automated-macro-rails-for-image-stacking

The application is super-macro photography with razor thin DOF, the rig takes several shots at different distances giving you "slices"of the whole object. He then downloads the images and combines them with software that produces 1 image of the entire object.

I don't know how many here are electronics whizzes, but using the rail from an old CDROM drive is a great idea that would work almost as well with just a knob replacing the stepper motor.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cute idea, nicely made. I use the one form Cognisys, called StackShot
http://www.cognisys-inc.com/stackshot/stackshot.php? a bargain
at the current EUR/USD exchange rate (List price was $495).

P.S.: they now offer a much higher resolution and also USB connection
to be able to remotely control and directly connect to ZereneStacker or HeliconFocus.

Last edited by kds315* on Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:50 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just HAVE to stop coming to this website! Yet another month to wait for the new car. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Car? Who needs a car and destroy the environment even more if you can stay at home and make
fabulous macro shots!! Wink Wink And ride the bike instead.... Wink