Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

zeiss 20/2.8 vs zeiss 20/4.0 vs yashica ml 21/2.8--opinions!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:47 pm    Post subject: zeiss 20/2.8 vs zeiss 20/4.0 vs yashica ml 21/2.8--opinions! Reply with quote

hi all

i have narrowed my search for ultra w/a to the above, all about the same price, for use on my 5d. it would be great to get members opinions on which has best iq--for me that means sharpness/contrast/color in that order.

i dont have any of these, but i do have a yashica ml 24/2.8 and really like the iq, so comparisons to that lens would be particularly meaningful to me.

thanks so much!
tony

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

really? our members have NO opinion on this at all? i cant believe that, we have opinions on everything! Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up a Nikon 20/4 Ai for about £120.00 last year and it was sharper across the board than my Flek 20/2.8. But then Fleks seem to have some issues with de-centering Confused Anyway, I sold the Flek and kept the Nikon which is a nice little lens Smile

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy F16Sunshine have Yashica ML 21mm f2.8 + a selected excellent Flektogon 20mm f2.8 MC from me. He able to answer to you. I never had Yashica ML 21mm. I agree ML 24mm is a very good lens.

Flektogon 20mm f4 is a perfect very sharp lens around F8-F11 and not bad wide open too.

20mm f2.8 either can be stunning and good one.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i knew there were some opinions to be had! thanis guys!

graham do yu use the nikon in the 5d? any issues with that arrangement?

i am also wondering if i really gain anything over the ml 24mm--maybe i shuld just be happy with that and forget the 21???

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there such a thing as an ML 21/2.8?

Last edited by jjphoto on Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never heard ML21mm f2.8 .

If need fast wide and you have enough money Olympus OM 21mm f2 is way to go. That is an awesome lens , small fast , sharp etc, etc.

I prefer Nikon 20mm f2.8 AIS over Jena lenses and Olympus OM 21mm f3.5 too.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi here

I lately had a 20mm Flektogon, i planned a 35mm, but this wasn't wide enough : ) i also have a 5D.

So far ia haven't done serious tests with this lens, but i can say that the color rendition is pretty accurate, and there's no distorsion. I paid for it about 300€, it's in perfect shape and had been CLA before sell. I am pretty happy !

one thing is very funny, the lens seems huuuge on pix, due to it's large front lens of 70mm wide, but in fact it's normal

and the bonus is min focusing @ 19cm ! perfect for portraits Wink

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony, it works great on the 5D ( edit: just remembered I had to remove a small part of the mount, but it was easy with a small screwdriver and totally reversible) and I'm looking forward to taking it to the States this year for shots in New York, SF, Monterey and Yosemite Smile

I haven't properly organised all my shots yet, but here's a snap wide open in horrible midday light:

100% crop:

No pp, sharpening or otherwise. I think the Flek was a little bit better in the centre but horrible in the corners.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

attila: i dont think i can fit om lenses to my 5d, though i could be wrong...

it seems most seem to think the nikon outperforms any of my choices! perhaps i should reevaluate....
thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OM lenses work fine on a 5D Smile I had the 28/2 and 85/2 previously, both were brilliant! I also had a 300/4.5 and still have the 50/1.8 Smile

The Nikon is staying though! There were faster versions made after my one e.g. 20/3.5 and 20/2.8. I was a bit concerned about taking part of the rear off, in case of exposure to dust, but all seems well Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can support the Nikkor 20mm F4. It is amazingly sharp and has very good colours. My copy seems to be a bit sharper than the sample we saw.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow if yours is sharper than that at f4, you must have a great copy! It's a tiny lens too Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used Nikkor 20/3.5 AI and 20/2.8 AIS on 5D2. The f/3.5 version has smaller front element and handles flare better, but has heavy vignetting that doesn't really go away on full-frame digital no matter how many steps it's stopped down. Corner performance also leaves to be desired. The f/2.8 version has visibly sharper corners at all apertures, but flares more easily and takes 62mm filters. In the end, I sold the f/3.5 version and kept the newer 20/2.8. It's a nice all around performer often available for $320-340.

On a budget, there's always Arsat-H 20/2.8: http://www.prime35.com/arsat-h-20mm-f-2-8/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Andy F16Sunshine have Yashica ML 21mm f2.8...

It's actually a f3.5...I'm pretty sure F16Sunshine purchased my old one on *Bay...

It was an pretty good lens, but not in the same league as say, the 21mm/2.8 Zeiss, as it was an older design.

I can't say it's worth the US$400+ it regularly brings now.

I should have waited to sell Sad

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did purchase yours Eugene and like you sold it before the boom Rolling Eyes

I did a big test with 21's a while back.
The winner in my opinion was the Zuiko f2/21 for overall performnce and usability.
The Zeiss Distagon f2.8/21 had more depth and 3D open but the zuiko caught up at f4.
The Zuiko is 1/3 the size of the Zeiss (contax) lens and has 1 extra usable stop (although it flares a bit if you are not careful).

So the lenses you asked about. The ML f3.5 and Flek f2.8 .
Both in the middle of the pack. The flek had warmer colors/contrast the ML sharper rendering/details.

The best value in a 21mm has still got to be the super tiny zuiko f3.5/21mm (usually under $400).
At f5.6 and mid to infinity distances it is as good as the Zuiko f2/21 and Distagon.

If you want to focus close the Zuiko f2/21 and Contax Distagon f2.8 have a floating element design that make them clear winners on paper as well as in shoots.
Non Floating element wides will (and did) show un-even character outside of center at near distances as well as emphasized distortion.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First tests with the Flektogon gave this pic. I am pretty happy about color rendition, pic has only some blacks added in Lightroom. This is @ f11.