Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Leica, Pentax, contax & Meyer 135mm comparision
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:00 pm    Post subject: Leica, Pentax, contax & Meyer 135mm comparision Reply with quote

Two months ago I started my research for "best 135mm for Pentax". I read tons of posts - from this forum too - about 135mm lenses.

Because I don't want to make this research for too long I decided to collect just few of them.
As for now I have collected four: Contax Sonnar 135/2.8, Leica 135/2.8, Pentax K 135/2.5 and Meyer 135/2.8. As reference or benchmark I use last version of Sigma 70-200/2.8.
Till now I do not have enough time to test them extensively outside because of dark and snow.
From kitchen tests it looks like this:
A. resolution & contrast at f2.8:
1. Contax
2. Leica
3. Sigma
4. Meyer
5. Pentax
B. resolution & contrast at f4:
1. Contax
2. Leica
3. Pentax
4. Meyer
5. Sigma
C. resolution & contrast at f5.6:
1. Contax
2. Pentax
3. Leica
4. Meyer
5. Sigma
D. resolution & contrast at f8:
1. Contax
2. Pentax
3. Leica
4. Meyer
5. Sigma

It is not any kind of science - it is just my personal opinion.

From other shots it looks that Pentax has more CA than any other lens.

Contax is the best from user friendliness point of view.

Meyer is most beautiful Very Happy

I do not have opinion about bokeh yet. Of course Meyer at f5.6 has still rounded circles.

Few shots from these lenses are in my http://www.pbase.com/piotreks/powazki

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice review and nice galleries
the Meyer is indeed sweet

from Piotrek galleries
Pentax PENTAX K20D,Meyer-Optik Gorlitz Orestor 2.8/135
1/200s f/2.8 at 135.0mm iso100

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can confirm many of this, having the Pentax K 2.5 and once had the Leica, Zeiss as well as the Sigma-zoom.

The Pentax is indeed my favourite 135mm - because I sold the Contax gear, in order to finance a dslr.... Sad
(the Leica was sold even earlier - just after my personal comparings...)

In fact I also had the Rollei 2.8/135, Olympus 2.8/135, Pentax A 2.8/135 and Tokina AT-X 2.8/80-200 for this personal test too which all lay behind Contax and Pentax 2.5, the Rollei on par with the Leica at some f-stops (don't remember this exactly enough).

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trifox recently posted samples from the nikkor 135/2 which show just how good this FL can get IMHO.

patrickh

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
Trifox recently posted samples from the nikkor 135/2 which show just how good this FL can get IMHO.

patrickh

This Nikkor lens is probably the best 135mm-lens - so no question about that.
Perhaps the Pentax A* 1.8/135 is as good (but not at f 1.8.... I once had this fine lens) and as well the Zeiss 2.0/135.
BUT:
It's not easy to focus exactly at 2.0 and 135 at closer distances... here I really prefer AF-lenses (like my Tamron 2.8/70-200)...

Embarassed
ooops, saying that in the mflens-forum
Wink