Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar S1 105mm #22 on Nikon D700 help needed!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:44 pm    Post subject: Vivitar S1 105mm #22 on Nikon D700 help needed! Reply with quote

Hey guys,

any of you using the Vivitar 105mm f2.5 on a D700?

I just got this legendary lens, and when shooting on the D700, the lens will vibrate like it was knocked when i press down the shutter.

Is this normal?

Thanks!!!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Macro shots need either lots of light (for a fast shutter speed) or a steady technique, in my experience. I tend to use a tripod and a remote shutter release, coupled with liveview for less shutter vibrations and critical focus Smile

Welcome by the way Cool

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have no experience with this lens,
however when i use my 50mm f/2 nikkor, the focus ring sometimes seems to do the same thing as you describe. this has, as far as i know, never had any impact on the images.

but these lenses are totally different so there might be something wrong, i don't know

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
Macro shots need either lots of light (for a fast shutter speed) or a steady technique, in my experience. I tend to use a tripod and a remote shutter release, coupled with liveview for less shutter vibrations and critical focus Smile

Welcome by the way Cool

koen kallenberg wrote:
i have no experience with this lens,
however when i use my 50mm f/2 nikkor, the focus ring sometimes seems to do the same thing as you describe. this has, as far as i know, never had any impact on the images.

but these lenses are totally different so there might be something wrong, i don't know

Thanks for the prompt reply.
the concern here is not about vibration that causes blur images, but instead, when I press the shutter to take the shot, there seems to be another sound besides the shutter. sounds like the mirror hitting the lens, and causing the lens to vibrate, but i cannot be sure on that.

I've a nikkor 55mm 2.8 as well, tried the 135 f2 DC, and none of them have similar problems.
I doubt that the vivitar 105 has any mirror clearance issue with the d700.
thus am concern if there are some defect with the lens, or its just a normal thing.

Any users of the lens and d700 can comment on this?

Thanks again =)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if the lens would touch your mirror when releasing it you would have known it by now, because you would only see shattered glass in the viewfinder, if you would see anything at all.

i guess that because of the vibrations of releasing the shutter something in lens vibrates as well. as long as it does not affect your image quality you should be fine

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

koen kallenberg wrote:
if the lens would touch your mirror when releasing it you would have known it by now, because you would only see shattered glass in the viewfinder, if you would see anything at all.

i guess that because of the vibrations of releasing the shutter something in lens vibrates as well. as long as it does not affect your image quality you should be fine

alright
thanks!
guess I was over concern!!
Time to shoot some photos with this awesome lens! =)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the lens in Nikon Ai mount ? If so, then when the shutter release is pressed, the diaphragm closes down to working aperture, the shutter opens and closes, and the diaphragm opens up to wide open. So you may be hearing the closing and opening of the diaphragm.

I'm not familiar with your lens, but on some lenses (e.g. Mir 2/35 H and Nikkor 3.5/20 UD) the diaphragm movements cause vibrations which can be felt as well as heard.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

koen kallenberg wrote:

This is utter nonsense from someone who obviously has not used many manual lenses on DSLRs (note that he has only 7 posts here). It is certainly possible that the mirror of your D700 strikes the rear of your lens, and the mirror will NOT instantly shatter when when that happens. Only when the rear of the lens protudes enough into the mirror chamber there is a risk of damage, but then you would not be able to take a picture and the mirror would probably stay stuck (until you power off the camera).
If it strikes while the mirror is going up, you may see that the bottom of the picture is a bit dark, because the mirror was not yet fully up while the shutter opened. It's also possible that the mirror only strikes when going down after the exposure. This is more common. You may have to shave/file a bit off the top of the rear of the lens to solve this.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok,
my apologies for providing false information then, but i assumed the mirror is very vulnerable after seeing someone break his mirror with a microscope and DIY mount.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with AhamB, well that's certainly my experience anyway.

Koen, no probs! AhamB, let's be a bit kinder to new posters eh? Wink

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough -- I was a bit blunt there (sorry, Koen). I know it's possible to physically damage the mirror on a DSLR (there's at least one thread about it in this forum) but it won't happen that quickly unless you're doing some fairly exotic/untested things.
Adapting manual lenses has been popular for some time (this forum largely revolves around it) and getting mirror collisions is quite a common problem.