Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Blank Negs
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:24 pm    Post subject: Blank Negs Reply with quote

I just ran a test roll through my Agfa and it came out completely blank, no sign of an image.

The camera looks like it works ok. The only thing I can think of is the developer has expired.

It was Ilfosol 3 and I bought it in Sept 2009. I have been using it on & off.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pretty sure , reason is faulty camera check it out more. I got blank roll when film transport was crap film did stay in start position and I didn't recognize it (35mm). I can't imagine any developer even if expired long not works. I do use 10 yrs before expired C41 developer and still works just need to extend second bath significantly. With old folders a shutter tester is essential to be sure about speeds, perhaps you did use it on faster speed which as stronger spring and not works at all. It did happen with me once, shutter did looks open and close when I did test slower speeds what I could recognize with my eyes , but if was entirely crap at 1/250. (It was a small 35mm RF with leaf shutter)

Last edited by Attila on Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:54 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Blank Negs Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
I just ran a test roll through my Agfa and it came out completely blank, no sign of an image.

The camera looks like it works ok. The only thing I can think of is the developer has expired.

It was Ilfosol 3 and I bought it in Sept 2009. I have been using it on & off.

Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the shutter opens and I only used 1/50 & 1/100 speeds. I should have something even if exposure was off.

Faulty film or developer or something not lightproof in my developing tank, which is a new Patterson tank.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If tank is not lightproof side of roll will be dark and in middle it will be some lighter parts I think not entirely dark or transparent. If shutter is slow open but deadly slow I also can't imagine fully dark blank roll , but better explanation I think.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes of course, the roll was completely clear so no development or shutter did not open at all.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
Yes of course, the roll was completely clear so no development or shutter did not open at all.

hmm I think in a totally dark place like bathroom without light if you put a led tourch light into bellow from rare side and press cocked shutter you will able to see light for a short while if shutter is open well at 1/50 and 1/100.

Try it and let we see.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tried that with room light off and pointed to the monitor; looked fine on a number of tries.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So developer you had right.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help.

2nd roll loaded and fingers crossed.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there the numbers and text on the side of film? If yes, problem is in the camera. If there aren´t any and film is whole blank, problem is somewhere in developing.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is your film clear and completly transparent?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on somethings I never have done Rolling Eyes -- a) you sure the film actually fed through the camera? b) you sure it was ilfosol and not e.g. wetting agent or some other chemical you 'developed' with c) ilfosol does god bad suddenly, but it turns colors and gets real syrupy when that happens, and you still get at least some development...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The film was completely transparent and it was developed in Ilfosol 3.

Yes the film went through; it's and old folder, so you put the roll in one side and remove it from the other.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is possible the Ilfosol went radically and catastrophically inert. It does have a reputation for that sort of thing, and 2009 is a bit old for it...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, mystery solved. I tried a 2nd roll in DDX and everything is fine.

My DDX is 9 months old, so how long is the shelf life for this? I may need to use this up.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well it differs - depends on storage temperature (something like wine:) ), light(best is dark place), amount of air in the bottle (good is to use lighter gas to fill the bottle instead of air) and also number of films developed in diluted developer (f.e. ID11 or Microphen)

this is what says Ilford in datasheet:

ILFOTEC DD-X
24 months in full tightly capped bottles.
6 months in half full tightly capped bottles.

ILFOSOL S
24 months in full tightly capped bottles.
4 months in half full tightly capped bottles.

i would say that in proper conditions (as mentioned above) you may store it for 2-3x longer time and achieve good results

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got this when i 'developed' my film in fixer.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
I got this when i 'developed' my film in fixer.

Yep, that would do it too. Laughing