Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikon 35mm f2 Pre AIS
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:20 pm    Post subject: Nikon 35mm f2 Pre AIS Reply with quote

Hello,
is the Nikon 35mm f2 NAI (nikkor kogaku) any good or comparable to the younger AI version? Is it coated?

Thank you

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know Nikon never made a uncoated SLR lens. NIC multicoating started in 1970, on the fastest lenses - the first AI 35/2 was already multicoated, so the transition to NIC on the 35/2 was somewhere in between. It probably makes no difference, all 35/2's I ever used were excellent, and they flare noticeably regardless of age.

You can't really go wrong with any of them - even the 35/2 AF (the only real change they made to the design within the series) makes up for its plastics feel with significantly improved flare resistance.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pre-Ai Nikkor, which was made when Nikon used the company name Nippon Kogaku and hence printed that name on the Nikkor lenses, dates back to 1962 and it is NOT multi-coated. The Nippon Kogaku branded Nikkor 35/2F gives slightly softer and less contrasty images than the newer, multicoated Ai and Ai-S versions. Flare resistance is also weaker due to lack of multi-coating. Image quality of the 35/2F is nevertheless good, wide open already center detail high and corners are excellent from f/5.6.

The 35/2D AF version has a slightly simpler optical formula, there is not much difference in performance between the three (pre-Ai, Ai/Ai-S and AF-D) but of those three, the AF-D version is the best overall, with a user-noticeable margin.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you guys! So is it at least single coated the pre-ai one?

If anyone had any experience...how would you compare this lens to the mir24n 35mm/2?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esox lucius wrote:
The pre-Ai Nikkor, which was made when Nikon used the company name Nippon Kogaku and hence printed that name on the Nikkor lenses, dates back to 1962 and it is NOT multi-coated.

Well, there were some 15 years between the first 35/2 and the AI version - IIRC Nippon Kogaku renamed to Nikon in 1969, so the pre-AI lenses were already Nikon branded for about half their production time.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sandro wrote:
Thank you guys! So is it at least single coated the pre-ai one?

If anyone had any experience...how would you compare this lens to the mir24n 35mm/2?

Nikon did not produce uncoated lenses for their rangefinders any more before the F was released, so it would be rather surprising it any regular F mount lens were uncoated. That said, speciality lenses like UV Nikkors may have been uncoated - Klaus will know...

The Nikkor should be visibly better - the FSU F mount lenses were not up to Nikon standards in production and assembly, and not any more modern than Nikkors in their designs either.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The UV-Nikkor has a special UV-transmitting single coating from what I know.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sevo wrote:
Esox lucius wrote:
The pre-Ai Nikkor, which was made when Nikon used the company name Nippon Kogaku and hence printed that name on the Nikkor lenses, dates back to 1962 and it is NOT multi-coated.

Well, there were some 15 years between the first 35/2 and the AI version - IIRC Nippon Kogaku renamed to Nikon in 1969, so the pre-AI lenses were already Nikon branded for about half their production time.

Very true indeed, I should have written my reply more clearly, but the reply was mainly aimed at Sandro's question whether his 35/2 Nippon Kogaku is multicoated or not.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a pre-AI Nikkor-OC 35mm f/2 -- chrome barrel, s/n 863xxx. The coating gives off purple and green reflections, so I've always assumed it was multi-coated. According to this site, it is indeed multi-coated and was manufactured sometime between 1973 and 1975:

http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/serialno.html#35

Mine has been AI'd with the installation of a factory Nikon AI kit, and I've enjoyed using it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Nikon 35mm f2 Pre AIS Reply with quote

sandro wrote:
Hello,
is the Nikon 35mm f2 NAI (nikkor kogaku) any good or comparable to the younger AI version? Is it coated?

Thank you

Its ok but its not as good as the 35mm f1.4 Ai-S.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Nikon 35mm f2 Pre AIS Reply with quote

DSG wrote:
sandro wrote:
Hello,

Thank you

Its ok but its not as good as the 35mm f1.4 Ai-S.

The price is Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one http://www.destoutz.ch/lens_35mm_f2_690117.html