Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Recommend a MF lens to me
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:10 am    Post subject: Recommend a MF lens to me Reply with quote

Hello everybody, first post here. Been shooting SLRs since young but only started with DSLR for a year or so. Wanting to get back to the "roots", so to speak, and get some nice MF lenses.

Currently I shoot a 5D MkII and very happy with it. Changed my lens kit a bit and whittled it down to:

35L
70-200 2.8 MkII

I don't really shoot professionally, although my friend is hiring me for a wedding next September, but that's another story in itself.

Right now I'm looking for a nice 85mm MF lens to add to my repertoire. Originally I gave myself a $400 budget, but after some research, my options seem to be limited at that price range. I am willing to extend it to maybe $700 or so.

With that in mind, what are some choices out there for me? I don't know much about MF lenses at the moment. Thanks all!

BONUS: A cheap UWA/FE might be interesting too.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome!

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/top_lenses/portrait/

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the welcome, and the images galore is making me dizzy! Smile

Which ones out of those lenses would you recommend in my situation?

PS. Is that your African Grey in your avatar?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With 700 Euros, you can take a great lens. You can buy a used Leica Summicron-R 90, or Elmarit-R 90 (depending on your style), and even save 300-400 Euros.
Or you can buy a used Contax Planar 1.4/85, and save 200-300 Euros.
Or you can buy a Biotar 75, and save 100-200 Euros
Or a Helios-40-2, and save 200-300 Euros (I might have one for sale)
Or a Pancolar 1.8/80 (if you can find one), and save 100-200 Euros.
Or a NIkkor AIS 2.5/105, and save a lot of money (even 500-550 Euros)
or...

look around, browse the galleries, you will find a lot of examples.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolar 80/1.8 if you look for a good Bokeh, I do not believe that it has competition great, or a Nikkor 105/2.5 sonnar design.

Last edited by francotirador on Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:22 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rishu, fancy meeting you here Smile

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or Planar 85/1.4, A more sharp lens and bokeh harder. like the Nikkor 105/2.5 AI-AIS, new formula.
All lens very good.
Looks at photos done with them, and you will choose the one that you like more.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies so far!

To be more specific, I really like playing with DOF and often shoot wide-open or close to it. Bokeh definitely plays a big factor, I like unique looking bokeh.

(BTW should have mentioned, I'm from Canada, so CDN/USD for currency of choice)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Recommend a MF lens to me Reply with quote

rishu_pepper wrote:
Right now I'm looking for a nice 85mm MF lens to add to my repertoire. Originally I gave myself a $400 budget, but after some research, my options seem to be limited at that price range. I am willing to extend it to maybe $700 or so.

Samyang 85/1.4 can be had for ~$260.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Recommend a MF lens to me Reply with quote

Laurentiu Cristofor wrote:
rishu_pepper wrote:

Samyang 85/1.4 can be had for ~$260.

Currently wavering between the Samyang/Rokinor and the Zeiss Planar...

I've read that the Rok is sharper wide open, and since I'll be shooting wide open (or close to it) most of the time, seems like a better choice?

But the Zeiss's call is strongggggg... Wink (love the 3D-ish rendering, though it's supposed to have harsher bokeh)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must consider the Leica that Orio recommended to you.
Leica is Leica Wink

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommend a MF lens to me Reply with quote

rishu_pepper wrote:
But the Zeiss's call is strongggggg... Wink (love the 3D-ish rendering, though it's supposed to have harsher bokeh)

I like the Zeiss bokeh. And it produces very nice colors.

Another thing about the Samyang is that it has internal focus.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SMC TAKUMAR 1.8/85 is a sweet bokeh glass!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for Planar

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeiss and Leica are, well, Zeiss and Leica, and these just scream classy and quality. Somehow Rokinon just doesn't sound that cool Wink

If I'm looking at the 85 Planar, what's a good price for one?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a slightly related note, what 85mm lens has the funkiest looking bokeh? Smooth and creamy bokeh need not apply Wink

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The funkiest ?
Helios-40 85 1.5 and the Biotar 75 1.5.
My favourites...
Read here for more...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joosep wrote:
The funkiest ?
My favourites...
Read here for more...

I like the look of the bokeh in the Helios. Smile

I looked it up on ebay and they go around 350-500. Is there any difference between the silver bodied and the black bodied one?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rishu_pepper wrote:
Joosep wrote:
The funkiest ?
My favourites...
Read here for more...

I looked it up on ebay and they go around 350-500. Is there any difference between the silver bodied and the black bodied one?

Yes. The black has more MTF, these are the official numbers.
Гелиос-40 -- 32/16
Гелиос-40-2 -- 36/17

And the registration distance.
Гелиос-40 -- 45,2 мм
Гелиос-40-2 -- 45,5 мм

In total this mean, the black one is sharper in the center (very little sharper in the corners). The black version is in M42, the alu is M39. As you can see, the alu-s working distance is slightly off. With a regular M39-M42 you will lose your infinity. I have a silver one and my infinity is about 20-30 meters. I dont really mind this, because I use this lens 90% for portraits, never gonna do infinity with it. I got the silver one, because I got a bargain and alot of people have sayd, that the bokeh on the silver is crazier, and the newer one being a little duller.

To be politically correct there are 3 versions on this lens.
The difference between the two first versions, is that the tripod collar can move around. Mine does, this is crucial if the screw mount does not match.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for Leica R Summicron 2/90mm or Samyang 1.4/85mm

Cheers
Henry

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joosep wrote:
rishu_pepper wrote:
Joosep wrote:
The funkiest ?
My favourites...
Read here for more...

Yes. The black has more MTF, these are the official numbers.
Гелиос-40 -- 32/16
Гелиос-40-2 -- 36/17

And the registration distance.
Гелиос-40 -- 45,2 мм
Гелиос-40-2 -- 45,5 мм

In total this mean, the black one is sharper in the center (very little sharper in the corners). The black version is in M42, the alu is M39. As you can see, the alu-s working distance is slightly off. With a regular M39-M42 you will lose your infinity. I have a silver one and my infinity is about 20-30 meters. I dont really mind this, because I use this lens 90% for portraits, never gonna do infinity with it. I got the silver one, because I got a bargain and alot of people have sayd, that the bokeh on the silver is crazier, and the newer one being a little duller.

To be politically correct there are 3 versions on this lens.
The difference between the two first versions, is that the tripod collar can move around. Mine does, this is crucial if the screw mount does not match.

So as an owner of the lens, would you recommend the Helios to me? Smile Or are there better choices out there you know?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rishu_pepper wrote:

So as an owner of the lens, would you recommend the Helios to me? Smile Or are there better choices out there you know?

Thats a hard one. Some love this lens, some hate this lens.
If id have enough money, I would get a biotar, that swirls.
Look at these

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A budget of $400, a Canon shooter looking for a good 85mm prime.

Simple, Canon 85mm F1.8. Just turn the AF off.