Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

The most stable tripod for £100?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:34 am    Post subject: The most stable tripod for £100? Reply with quote

I guess I should have asked this before going ahead and ordering a new tripod.. but, my question is this:

What sort of features should I look for when looking for a tripod that is REALLY solid and stable, especially when considering that I'll probably be using it with a huge old legacy f/8 500mm?

Some of my research to this point has pointed at carbon fibre being better than alloy and the lesser amount of leg sections being better.

Due to my limited budget, I looked at systems on ebay and amazon and decided on this Giotto's MTL9351 B. It seemed to claim the best stability whilst offering an excellent array of features (for it's price range).

What do you think? Are there better tripods out there for £100?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought Amvona carbon fiber tripod legs with huge rock solid ball head from China. Total cost (include registered air-mail shipping) was 80 GBP

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did an eBay and Amazon search for that and got no hits Sad

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a feisol, both tripod and ballhead.
Very happy with.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someplace on internet (still looking for link, sorry) is test showing even most expensive tripod and head is not solid. Test was shine laser dot 100 feet away, take photo, look at 100% to see dot moves in lines or circles.

I take bag with me, fill with rocks, tie to center post; helps stability a lot! Also with long lens, drape towel over front of barrel to dampen 'swing'.

Laughing best tripod under 100? Metal pipe cemented at least 0.5 meter deep into ground! Does not work if earthquake, however. Laughing

Seriously, I think tripod for telescope is most solid. I know for big telescope people take much care with mount, often make massive concrete pad.

Wood produces more stable than fibre or alloy. You didn't mention any concern for weight. Wood tripod also used by surveyors and with large format cameras.

edit: found link! see here

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this.. the brand was actually DynaTran..

http://photography.shop.ebay.com/Tripods-/30093/i.html?_nkw=dynatran

Doug

(I know these are not the exact model but searching DynaTran is usually productive)

mikenco wrote:
I did an eBay and Amazon search for that and got no hits Sad

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Laser test is very interesting!.. noted also, the tips like the towel and the hanging weight.

There is a full moon on the 21st of this month and I hope to get some better shots. The last ones were on a 2-sec delay, triggered with a remote trigger and all done whilst holding my breath!

Laughing

Last edited by mikenco on Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:53 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.richardlovison.com/?p=675

This is mine with different head, article say they are no longer in business.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.speedgraphic.co.uk/GitzoScrappageScheme/tabid/520/language/en-GB/Default.aspx

This is a good promotion by Gitzo, just buy a crappy tripod from a junk shop and get the discount.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
http://www.speedgraphic.co.uk/GitzoScrappageScheme/tabid/520/language/en-GB/Default.aspx

This is a good promotion by Gitzo, just buy a crappy tripod from a junk shop and get the discount.

Questions:

Gitzo pays with 'distribution cheque'. In US that is 'income', i.e. must pay income tax, also in EU? Then buy tripod, must pay sales tax, in EU must pay VAT? How much is 'savings'?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carbon is good, but expensive. You get the same dampening reaction of the system with timber - tripods made by Berlebach.
There is an interesting review about the kinetics of tripod camera systems, have it as pdf, if you want it send me a pm

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gitzo (and imitators) aluminium tripods have fallen from fashion, and are often quite cheap now.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good spot Lloydy. But the important words with that promotion is up to £100. So I imagine they will give you the same amount you paid for the junk shop tripod Embarassed

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goombles wrote:
Good spot Lloydy. But the important words with that promotion is up to £100. So I imagine they will give you the same amount you paid for the junk shop tripod Embarassed

That sounds a bit like those "We buy any car" claims.. YES, they'll buy your £12k car, but if you don't accept the £4k they offer you for it, then they themselves have not defaulted on their claim.

I have a feeling this firm would give me about 50p discount for trading in my £11 Aldi tripod.. Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.fotosense.co.uk/gitzo_trade_in

Different dealer, different wording. No "up to" Confused

The Gitzo web site isn't that clear either.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stellarvue Heavy Duty Surveyor's Tripod TA FREE S&H US$175 (has 5/8" telescope mount, need inexpensive 5/8" to 1/4" adapter to use with cameras.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks like a seriously stable video tripod!

I ended up buying a Giottos MTL 9351B-5011 with the 3-way head. I am really pleased with it. It is rock-solid compared to the budget tripod I was using before.

Smile