Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Rollei ATP 1.1 - strange rendering of the sky
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:16 pm    Post subject: Rollei ATP 1.1 - strange rendering of the sky Reply with quote

I have this Rollei ATP 1.1 Advanced technical Pan kit from a year ago and finally waned to try it.

The film is rated for ISO 36 and require some special handling during processing.

I have developed it today and it looks really weird.

The film is developed in 1+4 RLC for 6 min. (with tap water)

Some of the negatives are nice.

But on some the sky looks very strange .. like posterised.

Maybe i have messed the development time.

What do you think?

BR,
Stefan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very strange ! I'm sure it's nothing to do with development time, though.

First question to address: are these physical marks on the film? Look at the negatives so a good light falls obliquely on them, you may see blemishes either on the emulsion or the back of the film. They might be drying marks - especially if your water is 'hard' or treated with purifying chemicals by the supplier.

Second question: if they've been scanned, can a problem have occured in that process? Can't help there as I've never used a scanner.

Third question: did you agitate the film during developing and fixing? If not then that might have caused uneven chemical activity, but I've never seen effects quite like yours resulting from it.

Fourth question: is the film old stock, or has it been stored somewhere excessively hot/cold/humid ? Any of these might cause unpredictable deterioration.

Not an answer for you, I'm afraid, just questions to think about.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.

The spots are on the film.. if i look at the negative .. maybe not so pronounced but they are there. Wink
I'm thinking that the scanning program cannot capture everything correctly in auto settings.

So on the questions:

Those are negative scans.
Agitated approx every 30 sec
The film is dated for 04/2011 so most probably at the end of his shelf life and it was stored at room temperature in a sealed plastic bag.

Now I'm thinking that the fixing time may be too short. - there are some black halos around the film perforations .. and it should be transparent there.

Usually I use RXA acid fixer 1+7 for 8 minutes .. but on this film it was written specifically that the fixer have to be very diluted (1+15) .. so it was 1+15 for 3 minutes.

No stop bath (as per instructions). And something which was very interesting is that the developer is very sensitive to oxygen and have to be diluted only in distilled water.. which i do not have at home Smile

And at the end after rinsing i have used RWA wetting agent again diluted according to instruction to 1+300 for 1 minute.

Now I'm scanning the second roll - I had this longer in fix (for 5 min) and don't know if it is from the light (the film is rated for 370-750 nm so almost infrared) or because of fixing but it looks better.

There are some very nice ones - especially the ones from close distance.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks to me uneven development. Maybe a problem in reel loading, the emulsion touching the back of the inner spire. If this is the case the film should look smooth, neat and clean and the problem appear "inside" the emulsion itself. If you see drying marks try to rewash in distilled water plus wetting agent. Also there is something that doesn't sound right :
Quote:
Usually I use RXA acid fixer 1+7 for 8 minutes .. but on this film it was written specifically that the fixer have to be very diluted (1+15) .. so it was 1+15 for 3 minutes
If you reduce the strength of the solution the process time should increase and not the opposite. If it is a fix problem refix ASAP before things get worse and it will if that's the case.
Talking about aesthetics the pictures look good, nice subject and compositions. In special way the 2nd set, good contrast and tonality.

Cheers, M.