Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

A Tough Choice
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:04 pm    Post subject: A Tough Choice Reply with quote

I'm hoping there is some good experience here with the following four lenses, as I really can't decide which one I want. I am almost 100% sure I want one of the four however.

Please weigh in on your experience with any of the following lenses. I'm pretty sure they are all fantastic indeed.

Yashinon Macro Tomioka 60/2.8
Leica Macro Elmarit-R 60/2.8 (any version)
Contax Makro-Planar 60/2.8
Mamiya Macro Sekor 60/2.8

I believe they are all 1:1 which is important to me.

Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leica or Contax perhaps others are same good, but bigger name makes it to sell easier if you need it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Well, this may not make the choice easier, but it might make it a bit simpler: options 1 and 4 are the same lens, sold under different branding.

Cheers,

Jon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Univer wrote:
Hi,

Well, this may not make the choice easier, but it might make it a bit simpler: options 1 and 4 are the same lens, sold under different branding.

Cheers,

Jon

They do look the same. The Mamiya version is a good amount cheaper than the branded Tomioka too. Thanks for that feedback.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Macro-Elmarit-R 60 goes only 1:2, you may need an extension tube or
tele-extender to achieve 1:1.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

koji wrote:
Macro-Elmarit-R 60 goes only 1:2, you may need an extension tube or
tele-extender to achieve 1:1.

There is an original 1:1 macro adapter. But it is just an extension tube with Leitz design. Any other extension tube will do. If I remember correctly the original adapter is 25mm. 30 mm I would understand better going from 1:2 to 1:1 on a 60 mm lens.

I have the Leitz and I have tested the macro planar 60 recently on both FF and APS-C. Both are awesome walk around lenses from wide open and quite of the same performance as far as my skills reach. There are small differences in different areas such as sharpness, contrast, bokeh and so forth, but just a tad of out of focusing affects sharpness massively of course. In other words, if you focus perfectly I could not prefer one over the other considering all lens aspects. I find both lenses equally simple/difficut to hit focus with.
However I did not compare them in macro shooting. If macro shooting is your only purpose, I would personally go for the pre-set lenses (Tomioka) due to much easier handling in conjunction with a very good performance. Secondly I would choose the macro planar that reaches 1:1 natively, and has the coolest massive look and feel. For walk around or a little bit of both, I think the Leitz has the best price/performance ratio and also the best mechanic assembly that will last forever without play in the focusing ring.

/T

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Mamiya 60mm/2.8 1:1 macro lens. It has fantastic bokeh and build quality. However, it is not the best for wide open shots, which I take it is not your main concern since you will be shooting stop down?

http://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/Mamiya-Sekor-Yashinon-Tomioka-60mm-F2.8-Macro-for-Pentax.html

Pentax's SMC 50mm F4 macro is sharper
http://www.pbase.com/gummiebear/mamiya_sekor_60mm_f28_vs_smc_50mm_f4

but the lens only goes to 1:2.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stingOM wrote:
I have the Mamiya 60mm/2.8 1:1 macro lens. It has fantastic bokeh and build quality. However, it is not the best for wide open shots, which I take it is not your main concern since you will be shooting stop down?

http://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/Mamiya-Sekor-Yashinon-Tomioka-60mm-F2.8-Macro-for-Pentax.html

Pentax's SMC 50mm F4 macro is sharper
http://www.pbase.com/gummiebear/mamiya_sekor_60mm_f28_vs_smc_50mm_f4

but the lens only goes to 1:2.

the older preset Takumar f4/50 goes to 1:1, see:
http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/52686-macro-takumar-50mm-f4-native-1-1-magnification.html
http://www.dangphoto.net/50f4.htm
and it makes funny star shaped oof highlights if stopped down Wink
( the believe all the later versions which go to 1:2 only, certainly the Pentax M4/50 has 'normal' shaped 5 blades )

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the feedback so far. It is very helpful indeed. This will be my primary macro lens and I won't be using it for any infinity shots except for playing around a bit perhaps.

My top 3 criteria are: 1:1, Sharpness, Bokeh

I have used the makro planar 100/2.8 and I think its pretty amazing. I didn't realize the Leica was not 1:1 so that is a bit of a disappointment. I'm really curious of a comparison between the Tomioka and the Planar from someone who has them both Smile

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://forum.mflenses.com/testing-my-lenses-part-4-yashinon-tomioka-60mm-2-8-t28037,highlight,%2Btesting+%2Blenses.html

here you have a few samples from yashinon lens

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WolverineX wrote:
http://forum.mflenses.com/testing-my-lenses-part-4-yashinon-tomioka-60mm-2-8-t28037,highlight,%2Btesting+%2Blenses.html

Thanks for that. You seem to have a lot of macro lenses, what is your favorite to use?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

natebarnz wrote:
WolverineX wrote:

Thanks for that. You seem to have a lot of macro lenses, what is your favorite to use?

hmmm that's like asking which of your kids is your favorite Wink

i'm biased towards oly 90mm/2

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WolverineX wrote:

Lol it is much like that. And apparently you have one Smile

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

natebarnz wrote:
WolverineX wrote:

Lol it is much like that. And apparently you have one Smile

some samples from it
http://forum.mflenses.com/testing-my-lenses-part-11-olympus-90mm-2-macro-t31132,highlight,%2Btesting+%2Blenses.html

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some samples with the Leitz 60. I normally shoot wide open, except for macros where I use f/8 or similar with flash aid.

I had a hard time of finding representative shots with it before I bought it, so here is a bunch of different targets and lighting, everything hand held with APS-C sensor. Click on them for full view.

Cherry blossom wide open:

A bug, they are called "berry fart" in Swedish, due to the stench they produce when squeezed. Flash aid and stopped down.

Some house spider imported from the states, came with a package at my office. Flash aid stopped down.

My friends cat called "moms", that means V.A.T in Swedish. Wide open.

A shot taken in action, I spun around when I heard the W8 coming roaring behind me, and got perfect focus within half a second, lucky shot. Wide open

Evening portrait, wide open a little bit oof, but nice bokeh.

Hope this can be of some help.

BR
/T

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stunning! Especially the Cherry Blossom, "moms" (great name!!) and the Chrysler have hit me.

The Elmarit seems to combine perfect sharpness with a soft and airy Bokeh.

Which camera do you use?

Moreover, as an answer to the initial question, I would like to suggest the Micro Nikkor-P 55mm F3,5 (1:1 with extension ring) as an additional budget option, which gives outstanding results.
I would be curious to see it directly compared to the Elmarit, I must admit.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you torbod for those Elmarit examples. The lens has a great look to it and, of course, is nice and sharp. I really like the bokeh on the flower shot as well as the spider shot. I think I would be satisfied with the Leitz, however, since I have some money to blow on what I hope to be my life long macro lens, I want to give ample consideration to making this "tough" choice Smile

Who knows, If I consider long enough maybe I would be able to afford a CZ 100/2 or 50/2 makro Smile

Thanks again for all the input everyone

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BenediktW wrote:
Stunning! Especially the Cherry Blossom, "moms" (great name!!) and the Chrysler have hit me.

The Elmarit seems to combine perfect sharpness with a soft and airy Bokeh.

Which camera do you use?

Glad you like the samples.

I shoot with a Sony A700, highly recommended for manual focus lenses, due to very low second hand cost (nowdays), 5 fps, great ergonomics and control (I would say the highly rated a900 mimincs a700 in every detail except micro AF adjustment and sensor size) and as the icing on the cake an exceptionally good viewfinder for APS-C. No live view or filming though.

If you aim for a lifelong macro lens, I would look for a slightly longer focal length and APO performance. Voightländer APO Lanthar 90 3.5, Leitz 90mm (or is it 100mm APO) or perhaps the Mamiya 654 150/4? A fast F-stop isn't that important in macro shooting, especially if you can have some flash assistance.

BR
/T

Last edited by torbod on Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:31 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow that Macro Elmarit APO 100/2.8 looks pretty amazing. And pricey!

I wonder how it compares to the new Zeiss 100/2 makro?