Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Contax Planar sharpness
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:39 pm    Post subject: Contax Planar sharpness Reply with quote

I did some resolution tests yesterday with the Canon 50/1.8 II and the CZ Planar 50/1.4 and 50/1.7. Was surprised that the Canon blew them both away in the corners at all apertures up to f8. The Contax lenses were much sharper in the middle.

Does anyone know if the Planar design is sharper when focused at longer distances and is just a bit poor for close ups (1m or so)? Or do I have two duff lenses?! My 85/2.8 was also poor in the corners close up.

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Canon was designed for this kind of test, Planar for photography Laughing forget this test

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I think Canon was designed for this kind of test, Planar for photography Laughing forget this test

Well said.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha! As an update, I stopped being lazy and did an infinity shot and the CZ is a LOT sharper in the corners at that sort of distance. It makes me wonder how people come to these resolution scores though!

Right, off to so do some Christmas shopping! Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually had a similar experience when I tested my three 50s (EF 50/1.8 II, Pancolar 1.8 and Planar 1.4). The Canon is surprisingly good in every test I made including one to infinity. But, in the end I always grab the Planar with me, it's always the results I get with it that separate it from the others, not 100% crop tests. Smile

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are all basically the same optical scheme... Double Guass as most fast 50's are as well.
The glass/build quality and coatings are pretty much all that separates one 50 from another.

I have a canon ef 5o with metal mount.It is my only AF lens besides the one in my Contax T2 (thanks again Rolf Smile ).
The lens is lightweight and surprisingly good. No shame in shooting it.
They don't call them plastic fantastic for nothing. Now if only it had the same image "Character" as the Planar 1.4 Wink

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Contax Planar sharpness Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
I did some resolution tests yesterday with the Canon 50/1.8 II and the CZ Planar 50/1.4 and 50/1.7. Was surprised that the Canon blew them both away in the corners at all apertures up to f8. The Contax lenses were much sharper in the middle.

Does anyone know if the Planar design is sharper when focused at longer distances and is just a bit poor for close ups (1m or so)? Or do I have two duff lenses?! My 85/2.8 was also poor in the corners close up.

Thanks

I'm not saying your tests were poor or faulty but you need to be very careful when testing.

Last edited by jjphoto on Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Contax Planar sharpness Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:

(Most?) Planars are optimized for infinity. The 50 and 85 definitely are. Your test results are not surprising. They will be same if you compare your Planar to any Pentax 50/1.4.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

graham, if youre off xmas shopping, let me suggest picking up the planat T 85/1.4. i just got one (for a great price i might add) and it confirmed my observations on this site that it is quite possibly the best portrait lens ever! i may never take it off my 5d. forget thet tests; enjoy the pop!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of excelent taker lense, aren't very good in test. The classic examples are the Leica M lenses.

Not very good in pl/mm tests, but great IQ.
Of course all of them at F/4-5,6 are great in pl/mm too.

Time ago, I saw some pics taken by Orio with an old sonnar 1,5/50. The resolution power was low, sure, but the IQ was great, one of the best that I saw in my taste.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Contax Planar sharpness Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
I did some resolution tests

Wrong at the start. You should have done photos Wink

Planars are very good, i've never been disseapointed by sharpness, or anything else ( oh maybe the price )

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess your tests are legit as this person discovered the same: http://www.16-9.net/lens_tests/zeiss_85mm/zeiss85mm_3.html

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe thanks for all the responses! I would never consider changing it as my standard lens, I was just surprised by the test results (which were done in a controlled environment e.g. same tripod, shooting straight on at a flat surface using liveview). The Planar had CA in the sides and poor corners at 1m or so.

But I just love it's character and pop! And at greater distances it is sharp across the frame and better than the Canon Smile

One thing I found really interesting...the corners were worse on a crop sensor 1000D than with a full frame 5D!

No more test cards for me Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This should be why:
Close focus = Macro or portrait, you dont need the corners.
Close to infinity or infinity = You need the everything.
I think CZ designed theyr lenses for these simple reasons.

Now the new lenses...
Close focus = MTF tests, the better the lens, more people will buy it.
Infinity = Noone tests it, who cares ?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goombles wrote:
I guess your tests are legit as this person discovered the same: http://www.16-9.net/lens_tests/zeiss_85mm/zeiss85mm_3.html

Quote:

www.16-9.net
....I can't rule out an adapter problem, but if the adapter is to blame, then it's not going to excel on Canon bodies....

Another ZF adapted on EOS review.. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, the Canon is not a lens to be underestimated. It's not my go-to mens despite it being an autofocus lens (OK, not a surprise on this forum).

I would describe that the lens as being uncorrected. It trades its high of perfect rendering when it's spot on for utter utter dismal rendering when the conditions are off.