Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Inexpensive Leica - Elmar 90mm f/4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:29 am    Post subject: Inexpensive Leica - Elmar 90mm f/4 Reply with quote

I was more than a little surprised to discover that there are inexpensive leica lenses around.
My first venture into these territories is the inexpensive Leica Elmar 90mm f/4. I picked a local copy and was very intrigued. The Bokeh seems nice at f/4 and the lens is quite sharp. My lens is quite old - 1938 from the serial number.
Here is a B&W portrait and a colour shot (both with minor brightness tweeks and cropping in Lightroom).

I am really enjoying this lens. I think my next Leica will be a Summicron - if I ever find a cheap one!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats.

1- If you like summicron 2/50 in M serie, chose the DR one or the first 6 elements (I never saw a contrast lens like it).

2- Not matter which old style leica M do you have. All will have a different IQ. For several years the collectors discussed about teh better IQ of the oldest lenses over the newer ones.

Rino

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pics! What was the price?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my early dSLR days (2.5 years ago) I bought a couple of Leitz lenses before I found they couldn't be PK-adapted. Duh. I sold them a very few months ago, at prices that convinced me to continue selling my old excess and unusable glass. The lenses:

LTM/L39 Elmar 90/4 (# 698301), bought for US$108 shipped, sold for $152
M-mount Hektor 135/4.5 (# 1134359), bought for $67 shipped, sold for $100

The lenses were in decent but not perfect condition. I have no idea how these amounts compare with current street prices. But I am quite happy with the average ~45% profit.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got mine for $120 off eBay. Is the a better spot for buying leica?