Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

nikon F mount teleconverter
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:11 pm    Post subject: nikon F mount teleconverter Reply with quote

hi, i'm looking for a nikon F mount teleconverter. do you have any tips or offers ? thanks

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

I could sell you a WEP Auto Kinotelex 2x in Nikon F mount and in good condition.

What about €10,- plus shipping to your place?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiron made 7 elements Vivitar macro converter.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

is it the kiron 2x mc7 one ?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Hi!

I could sell you a WEP Auto Kinotelex 2x in Nikon F mount and in good condition.

is it better than the Hoya Auto Teleconverter 2X Multicoated ?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thisway wrote:
Attila wrote:

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/german/meyer/meyer_optik_oreston_50mm_f1_8/vivitar_macro_focusing_tc-01.JPG.html?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
thisway wrote:
Attila wrote:

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/german/meyer/meyer_optik_oreston_50mm_f1_8/vivitar_macro_focusing_tc-01.JPG.html?

Atilla, do you have one for sale or know someone selling? what other teleconverters are worth using ?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thisway wrote:
LucisPictor wrote:
Hi!

is it better than the Hoya Auto Teleconverter 2X Multicoated ?

I don't know the Hoya. But this WEP is better than all the others I have, except the (Kiron) Vivitar which I only have in Pentax mount.
That (huge) Vivitar is a little more contrasty than the WEP, otherwise there is hardly a difference.

Often the results of teleconverters appear to be bad because there is more camera shake. While you still can use a 180mm lens at f/4 freehand, it's impossible to use the same lens (eff 360mm at f/Cool without a tripod.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
I don't know the Hoya. But this WEP is better than all the others I have, except the (Kiron) Vivitar which I only have in Pentax mount.
That (huge) Vivitar is a little more contrasty than the WEP, otherwise there is hardly a difference.

Often the results of teleconverters appear to be bad because there is more camera shake. While you still can use a 180mm lens at f/4 freehand, it's impossible to use the same lens (eff 360mm at f/Cool without a tripod.

so, in conclusion, for some serious macro photography you would recommend the kiron over the wep, right ?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

Attila and I are in agreement on this one -- I too am convinced that the Vivitar 7-element macro-focusing teleconverter is just about the best TC that you'll hope to find for a halfway reasonable sum -- even a not-so-reasonable sum, far as that goes.

I have two -- one in Canon FD and one in Nikon F mounts. Wouldn't mind finding one in Pentax K either. I've done comparison tests with the Vivitar 2x macro converters and have found there to be essentially no image degradation when they were used. The fact that they have a focusing helical is a big plus. You can convert most any lens into a close focus optic and you can turn your average 50mm or 100mm lens into a macro lens to boot.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Attila wrote:

Attila and I are in agreement on this one -- I too am convinced that the Vivitar 7-element macro-focusing teleconverter is just about the best TC that you'll hope to find for a halfway reasonable sum -- even a not-so-reasonable sum, far as that goes.

I have two -- one in Canon FD and one in Nikon F mounts. Wouldn't mind finding one in Pentax K either. I've done comparison tests with the Vivitar 2x macro converters and have found there to be essentially no image degradation when they were used. The fact that they have a focusing helical is a big plus. You can convert most any lens into a close focus optic and you can turn your average 50mm or 100mm lens into a macro lens to boot.

what's the price for such a teleconverter ?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

depend from your luck, some times dirt cheap , thanks for clue less seller. Sometimes more I bought mines years ago for 30-50 USD.

This converter have helicoid tube, an empty helicoid tube value around 100-150 USD from HK. I have two of them , because I found it's quality is far better than any other cheap TC. I don't know WEP quality , perhaps same good and dirt cheap.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thisway wrote:

for some serious macro photography

What means for you " serious macro photography"?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
depend from your luck, some times dirt cheap , thanks for clue less seller. Sometimes more I bought mines years ago for 30-50 USD.

This converter have helicoid tube, an empty helicoid tube value around 100-150 USD from HK. I have two of them , because I found it's quality is far better than any other cheap TC. I don't know WEP quality , perhaps same good and dirt cheap.

not interested in selling one are you ? Smile

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually for "serious macro photography" there are a few ways to proceed besides a macro focusing teleconverter.

1) a true macro lens
2) reverse mounting a wide angle lens to the camera with a reverse adapter
3) reverse mounting a shorter focal length lens to a longer focal length lens with a male-to-male thread adapter of the appropriate size(s)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Himself wrote:
thisway wrote:

for some serious macro photography

What means for you " serious macro photography"?

when you prefer not using one such device, if you can, in order to have as sharp as possible images. sometimes you want to go beyond 1:1 and that's what i would like to use it for Smile

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Actually for "serious macro photography" there are a few ways to proceed besides a macro focusing teleconverter.

1) a true macro lens
2) reverse mounting a wide angle lens to the camera with a reverse adapter
3) reverse mounting a shorter focal length lens to a longer focal length lens with a male-to-male thread adapter of the appropriate size(s)

hi cooltouch,

my true macro lens is somewhere on a plane right now (waiting for it to arrive) and i did use the 3rd setup you mentioned but got very shallow dof and a lot of vignetting Sad

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thisway wrote:
LucisPictor wrote:

so, in conclusion, for some serious macro photography you would recommend the kiron over the wep, right ?

For serious macro work I would not recommend a TC at all.
But if you want to use one, the Kiron is better than the WEP, yes.
But unless you find a Kiron sold by someone who doesn't know what he sells, the Kiron will be much more expensive than the WEP. Wink

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:

I have two -- one in Canon FD and one in Nikon F mounts. Wouldn't mind finding one in Pentax K either.

I've got one. Interested?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:

I concur.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Himself wrote:
LucisPictor wrote:

I concur.

is there any other way to get into more detail than 1:1 scale ?with a 2x teleconverter that would lead to a magnification ration of 2:1 Smile

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mount reverse an 50mm lens or/and use bellow.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

would this combo give better results over a teleconverter ?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thisway wrote:
Attila wrote:

would this combo give better results over a teleconverter ?

Surelly, TC just make result to worst usually.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reverse mounting a lens is always better than a teleconverter for higher magnifications and is frequently as good as a macro lens. I read up on this topic some time back and it was explained that reversing the lens also results in a flatter field, like with a macro lens.

I don't know the formula for determining the magnification of a reverse-mounted lens, but there is another way you can. You can just hold the reversed lens up to your camera's lens mount and then point it at a ruler. When the ruler is in focus, determine the maximum horizontal measurement you can see. Assuming your camera is a 35mm camera and that the viewfinder displays approximately 100% of the actual image, then you can arrive at a ratio between the length of the image you see and the actual image length, which for a 35mm camera is 36mm.

So let's say for example that you measure 20mm on the ruler through the viewfinder. Divide 36mm by 20mm for the actual amount of magnification, which in this case would be 1.8x.

The wider angle the lens, the more magnification you get when it is reversed.