Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Another Rare Vivitar 250mm f/4.5 two Window up for bid.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:47 pm    Post subject: Another Rare Vivitar 250mm f/4.5 two Window up for bid. Reply with quote

here...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120657609876&category=3323&_trksid=p5197.c0.m619

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shame it's in the states, it looks like a nice lens. Good IQ?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martyn_bannister wrote:
Shame it's in the states, it looks like a nice lens. Good IQ?

Decent IQ and very good color.

http://forum.mflenses.com/a-few-more-vivitar-250mm-f-4-5-two-windowpreset-t32651.html

http://forum.mflenses.com/photo-examples-from-the-vivitar-250mm-two-window-preset-lens-t32618.html

http://forum.mflenses.com/the-rare-vivitar-250mm-f-4-5-pre-set-lens-t32587.html

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: Another Rare Vivitar 250mm f/4.5 two Window up for bid. Reply with quote

Big Dawg wrote:
here...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120657609876&category=3323&_trksid=p5197.c0.m619

Thanks for the tip! I received it today. It was a bit dirty, but fortunately all the dirt was on the outside and it cleaned very well.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Rare Vivitar 250mm f/4.5 two Window up for bid. Reply with quote

Laurentiu Cristofor wrote:
Thanks for the tip! I received it today. It was a bit dirty, but fortunately all the dirt was on the outside and it cleaned very well.

Excellent score Laurentiu!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you will like it too. Very nice lens for a great price. Looking forward to some photos from it soon. Congratulations...you have a rare lens there. I've only seen three of those posted on Ebay in all these years.

I never bring up a lens unless it is at Zero bids or already sold. I was hoping one of my friends here would get it. Again Congratulations.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's a very nice find and I was indeed lucky that the auction ended in the middle of a workday. I like lenses with two aperture rings and this is the first Japanese one I got. At some point in the past, I had a Vivitar 135/2.8 that surprised me with its IQ - I was looking for its 200/4 sister, but I didn't find one in good condition. Getting this one scratches that itch Smile

Some impressions from quick use at high ISO in poor light: Resolution seems to be good wide open. There's chromatic aberrations, but that's to be expected from a lens of this vintage. I don't see glow in low light, but some showed up when I tried it this morning in stronger light. I'll get a lens hood for it and see if that changes anything. I like the build very much. Focus throw is really long - about 345 degrees. I focused on a car at the end of the street and I wasn't even close to the infinity marker! It's surprisingly light and slim for a metal lens - from the photos, I expected it to be larger and heavier.

I'll post some shots in one of the other threads as soon as I get some worth showing.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's a very nice find and I was indeed lucky that the auction ended in the middle of a workday. I like lenses with two aperture rings and this is the first Japanese one I got. At some point in the past, I had a Vivitar 135/2.8 that surprised me with its IQ - I was looking for its 200/4 sister, but I didn't find one in good condition. Getting this one scratches that itch Smile

Some impressions from quick use at high ISO in poor light: Resolution seems to be good wide open. There's chromatic aberrations, but that's to be expected from a lens of this vintage. I don't see glow in low light, but some showed up when I tried it this morning in stronger light. I'll get a lens hood for it and see if that changes anything. I like the build very much. Focus throw is really long - about 345 degrees. I focused on a car at the end of the street and I wasn't even close to the infinity marker! It's surprisingly light and slim for a metal lens - from the photos, I expected it to be larger and heavier.

I'll post some shots in one of the other threads as soon as I get some worth showing.

That 200mm Pre-set is a 200mm f/3.5 I have one and it is every bit as good in the IQ department as the four 135mm f/2.8 pre-set lens I have. Quite a few up on Ebay from time to time. Most are of a cheaper build than that 250mm Pre-set you now have. I'll keep an eye out for one and let you know when one shows it's head. LOL

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Dawg wrote:
That 200mm Pre-set is a 200mm f/3.5 I have one and it is every bit as good in the IQ department as the four 135mm f/2.8 pre-set lens I have. Quite a few up on Ebay from time to time. Most are of a cheaper build than that 250mm Pre-set you now have. I'll keep an eye out for one and let you know when one shows it's head. LOL

The 135 I had and the 200 I was looking for were auto aperture - native M42 with pin and A/M switch. The ones with built in sliding hoods. I don't remember noticing these preset Vivitars before this thread.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Dawg wrote:

The 135 I had and the 200 I was looking for were auto aperture - native M42 with pin and A/M switch. The ones with built in sliding hoods. I don't remember noticing these preset Vivitars before this thread.

They are there and quite good too.
Here is a look at what I had in my collection in the way of 200mm lens a few months ago. Got a few more since then.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Dawg wrote:

Here is a look at what I had in my collection in the way of 200mm lens a few months ago. Got a few more since then.

The third one from the left is the pair of the 135mm one I had. What mount is that? Doesn't look like M42. Is the fourth one a Series 1?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The third one from the left is the pair of the 135mm one I had.

Or the third one from the right. I'm confused now.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Dawg wrote:

The third one from the left is the pair of the 135mm one I had. What mount is that? Doesn't look like M42. Is the fourth one a Series 1?

Yes the fourth from the left is a Series 1 200 f/3.

The third from the left is a T4 mount 200 f/3.5. The compact version without the built-in tripod mount.

The third one from the right is a Kiron made 200 f/3.5.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the larger samples.

Big Dawg wrote:

Nice one - did you post any images from it? I heard about it, but it's the first time I see one. Do you also have the 135/2.3 and samples from that? I rarely see samples from the first line of Series 1.

Big Dawg wrote:

That's it then. I had a 135/2.8 that had similar style. You probably know that lens. It comes up often on ebay and it's a very good performer.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the larger samples.

Big Dawg wrote:

Nice one - did you post any images from it? I heard about it, but it's the first time I see one. Do you also have the 135/2.3 and samples from that? I rarely see samples from the first line of Series 1.

Big Dawg wrote:

That's it then. I had a 135/2.8 that had similar style. You probably know that lens. It comes up often on ebay and it's a very good performer.

Yes I have the 135mm f/2.3 as well and will shoot and post some examples when I can get a day off from work. Should get to this weekend...Maybe...!

The 135mm Kiron made is a good performer...but then most 135mm lens are. The Komine version is just as good. Have a Happy Holidays my friend.

here is the lens.