Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Useless comparison, or not? Nº 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:21 pm    Post subject: Useless comparison, or not? Nº 2 Reply with quote

Here one 135/3.5 Sonnar of U$S 100 and 24/70 Canon L 2.8 of U$S 1500.-
Look, the Flare and the CA.

Without correction. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't it kind of weird to compare a pretty fast zoom lens with a rather slowish tele prime?
Any conclusion about the superiority of manual lenses is untenable.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I regularly use the 24-70 for night work and have never seen it's equal for flare control.

Last edited by jjphoto on Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Isn't it kind of weird to compare a pretty fast zoom lens with a rather slowish tele prime?
Any conclusion about the superiority of manual lenses is untenable.

The conclusion is not this for my, if not, that an old sonnar is usable perfectly today.

24-70 and one 70-200 they mark the qualit standar for professional works.
For my part I will buy 24-105 L

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjphoto wrote:
Those 2 images don't show anything about flare control and the exposures seem to be different as the highlights in the first image are overexposed. The 24-70 seems to have lower transmittance than many lenses, probably due to the number of elements, and it doesn't have the best bokeh but it does have the best flare control of ANY lens that I've ever used.

I regularly use the 24-70 for night work and have never seen it's equal for flare control. You would think that a prime with half the number of elements would have better flare control but it doesn't seem to be the case. See below.

http://rigshots.com.au/50_flare_ff.htm
http://rigshots.com.au/50_flare_centre_crop.htm

JJ

I have used it for fashionable catalogues, and in the high lights, the image burns. The factor of correction is a 1/2 point for 24/70.
I use a hand exposure meter Sekonik.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The second is Sonnar

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The effective exposure is clearly different. Blowing out of highlights will happen more easily with a lens with higher contrast though. The Sonnar also has more veiling flare, which makes the tree look brighter.

My recommendation: use UniWB, use the most neutral camera profile and expose to the right, watching that you don't clip the highlights. (Assuming that you shoot in RAW of course.)

Last edited by AhamB on Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Francotirador: I like your comparisons! I think your point may be that there doesn't look like $1400 worth of difference between these two lenses (which actually are separated by less than a full f-stop).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gaeger wrote:
Francotirador: I like your comparisons! I think your point may be that there doesn't look like $1400 worth of difference between these two lenses (which actually are separated by less than a full f-stop).

That should surprise noone. The $1400 difference you pay for:
- 24-70 zoom range
- f/2.8 aperture
- AF
- electronically coupled aperture
- NOT to have better IQ than a CZJ 135/3.5.

Conclusion: comparing a 135/3.5 to the 24-70L is apples to oranges.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, but with the 135mm, one gets 135mm.

Conversely, with the Canon, one gets four times as much glass, metal and plastic.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AhamB wrote:
gaeger wrote:

That should surprise noone. The $1400 difference you pay for:
- 24-70 zoom range
- f/2.8 aperture
- AF
- electronically coupled aperture
- NOT to have better IQ than a CZJ 135/3.5.

Conclusion: comparing a 135/3.5 to the 24-70L is apples to oranges.

Yes, it's like comparing apples to oranges, but serve to take pictures. I repeat the only possible conclusion is that the image provides a Rokkor 58/1.2, or one Sonnar 135/3.5 is current in terms of quality.
Better quality and loss of automation.