Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Does SMC Pentax-M 50/1.4 work with EOS?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:03 am    Post subject: Does SMC Pentax-M 50/1.4 work with EOS? Reply with quote

Anyone using this combo? Does the aperture lever come off easily or do you have to grind it away? How about FF mirror hitting?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's one of those "it does/it doesn't" lenses when it comes to hitting the mirror on a FF body. My copy has never hit the mirror, even before I shaved it, yet I've heard of other users who've had problems.

The aperture lever needs to be removed/cut, but if you're willing to 'destroy' the lens, and have a modicum of technical ability, it's an easy process. I'm not recommending that people go out and butcher lenses for the sake of it - in my case, I'd decided that it was unlikely I'd ever sell the lens on, which made my decision to operate that bit easier.

Plus, I got a pretty badly damaged 2nd copy with a functioning aperture mechanism if I ever need to get it back to normal Wink

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use it with adapter in EOS 1000D without any change nor any problem. works well. I tried in EOS 40D with same adapter, the aperture is stuck. aperture lever should be remove in this case

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried it on 5D II and there was no way it would even fit in - the lever was hitting the mirror box right when trying to put the lens on. So what I did was is removing plastic protector (can be put back) and bending the metal lever in half. If you do this carefully you can straighten it later back to the original shape and it will be compatible with Pentax cameras again.

IQ-wise it's similar or slightly better than SMC Takumar, so you may look for that one instead. I also have a Pentax SMC-FA lens modified for Canon which has worse build quality (lots of plastic) but the IQ is better than either of the above and the focusing ring is so smooth that you can easily rotate it with one finger - perfect for video applications. I don't use this lens much so if you are interested in it, let me know...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all, I think I'll look at the m42 version.