Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

I want another 50mm lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:28 pm    Post subject: I want another 50mm lens Reply with quote

I consider to aquire another 50mm lens to extend my collection.
I already have: SMC Pentax M & A 1.7/50, Leitz Summicron-R 2/50 (1st).
Important to me is a soft bokeh, good performance wide open and a high micro contrast / good 3D-rendering.

On my list are SMC Pentax 1.2/50, Voigtlander Color Ultron 1,8/50, Zeiss Planar 1,7/50, 1,4/50

Which would you recommend?

Timo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the Planar 1.7/50mm.
It has a nice bokeh and it's very sharp.

Regards.

Jes.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats good to hear that the CZ 1,7 is a good lens as I just bought one this weekend Smile

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: I want another 50mm lens Reply with quote

timo832000 wrote:

On my list are SMC Pentax 1.2/50, Voigtlander Color Ultron 1,8/50, Zeiss Planar 1,7/50, 1,4/50

Which would you recommend?

Each of these lenses is a really good one.

The Pentax is the fastest, the Ultron will go for the lowest price, the Planar 1.4 is the best lens and the Planar 1.7 is perhaps the best compromise: fast enough, cheaper than the f/1.4 and almost as good.
But if I were you, I would rather try to find a Planar 1.4, because that would not only give you another excellent lens but also a considerable improvement in speed.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course it is , it's a Planar : )

I'll also recommend the 1.4 version, but the 1.7 is indeed very good.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contax Zeiss Planar 1.7/50 wide open:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I do like the Contax 50/1.4 very much I think it's bokeh is certainly quite funky, but the same can probably be said of most fast lenses when wide open.

Last edited by jjphoto on Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:
Try the Planar 1.7/50mm.
It has a nice bokeh and it's very sharp.

I can't say the 1.7 Planar has smooth bokeh wide open. Planar 50/1.4 is much smoother in this regard, while Yashica ML is smoother yet (although not quite as sharp/contrasty/3D). A past-1,000,000 s/n Olympus Zuiko 50/1.4 has superb rendering (although it's still not as sharp as the Planar wide open, but plenty of smoothness and 3D). The cheap Zuiko 50/1.8 (latest version with "made in Japan" printed on the front ring) is also a great lens that won't break the bank.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Rollei Planar 50/1.8 on the way and I have to ask how it compares to the Rollei 50/1.7. Anyone?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

erm Helios or Pentacon/Meyer not worth mentioning Wink

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fujinon. =)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: I want another 50mm lens Reply with quote

timo832000 wrote:

Important to me is a soft bokeh, good performance wide open and a high micro contrast / good 3D-rendering.

Timo

Contax Planar 1.4/50 for sure!!! I can even tell you it has the same or smoother bokeh than the Summicron 2/50 v2 from f2 and up Wink

The Rollei/Voightlander Planar 1.8 is also one of my favorites with smooth bokeh.
The Contax 1.7/50 is also a superb one but it has harsher bokeh overall but very high micro contrast.

What about the Contax Tessar 2.8/45 Exclamation..... it also has exactly what you are looking for, with exceptional colour reproduction .....

aoleg wrote:
A past-1,000,000 s/n Olympus Zuiko 50/1.4 has superb rendering (although it's still not as sharp as the Planar wide open, but plenty of smoothness and 3D).

I just won a >1,100,000 one that is supposed to be even sharper than the >1,000,000 .... lets see how good it is when it arrives and how it compares with my Zuiko 1.8/50 >5,700,000 .

My No9 50mm lens and counting ... Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: I want another 50mm lens Reply with quote

Keysersoze27 wrote:

The Rollei/Voightlander Planar 1.8 is also one of my favorites with smooth bokeh.
The Contax 1.7/50 is also a superb one but it has harsher bokeh overall but very high micro contrast.

How do you compare these two lenses? I already own Voightlander Color-Ultron 1.8/50 in M42 mount. Is the Contax Planar 1.7/50 worth the money in comparison to Ultron?

Up to f2.8 Ultron beats all fast 50s I own or I've tried (Pentax FA and M 1.4/50, Porst MC 1.2/55 and MC 1.4/55, Tomioka 1.2/55, Summicron 2/50, Pentax FA, F, A, M 1.7/50, Pancolar MC 1.8/50, SMC Takumar 1.4/50, Rikenon 1.7/50)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: I want another 50mm lens Reply with quote

BRunner wrote:
Keysersoze27 wrote:

How do you compare these two lenses? I already own Voightlander Color-Ultron 1.8/50 in M42 mount. Is the Contax Planar 1.7/50 worth the money in comparison to Ultron?

Up to f2.8 Ultron beats all fast 50s I own or I've tried (Pentax FA and M 1.4/50, Porst MC 1.2/55 and MC 1.4/55, Tomioka 1.2/55, Summicron 2/50, Pentax FA, F, A, M 1.7/50, Pancolar MC 1.8/50, SMC Takumar 1.4/50, Rikenon 1.7/50)

I haven't compared them directly since I mainly use the 1.4/50 Planar.
I own the older v1 of the Rollei Planar with the dual-coating so it might be a little different in the way it renders the colours in comparison to your HFT coated one.
Comparing it to the Contax 1.7/50 it is definitely sharper wide open(I was shocked how sharp the rollei was @1.8 the first time i used it) and has a more "retro" way of rendering . The Contax one has a more "modern" way of rendering the image in the Zeiss family always .
Ofcource the Contax has more contrast than my Rollei , but the latter has smoother bokeh than even the 1.4 Contax.

I have to test them directly to conclude better ...but I don't have the time right now ...to much work during daytime Confused

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, mine is HFT. It has very rich colors and best contrast wide open from above mentioned lenses (even they are stopped down to f2). Here is one test shot from Ultron @f1.8 (I don't have calibrated monitor, so the colors my be little off). Click for 10MPx version.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: I want another 50mm lens Reply with quote

Keysersoze27 wrote:
I just won a >1,100,000 one that is supposed to be even sharper than the >1,000,000 .... lets see how good it is when it arrives and how it compares with my Zuiko 1.8/50 >5,700,000 .

I have both >1M and >1.1M Zuikos, and couldn't tell the difference when shooting. The lenses use slightly different coatings (supposedly, NMC used in >1.1M lenses is an improvement over Olympus older MC, but it seems rather slight at best), and the later >1.1M has somewhat lighter construction, but I don't think they differ optically.

If the price is similar, it's better to get the newest one of course, but otherwise don't hesitate buying the slightly older >1,000,000 MC version. Older MC versions are reportedly not quite as good though.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: I want another 50mm lens Reply with quote

aoleg wrote:

I have both >1M and >1.1M Zuikos, and couldn't tell the difference when shooting. The lenses use slightly different coatings (supposedly, NMC used in >1.1M lenses is an improvement over Olympus older MC, but it seems rather slight at best), and the later >1.1M has somewhat lighter construction, but I don't think they differ optically.

If the price is similar, it's better to get the newest one of course, but otherwise don't hesitate buying the slightly older >1,000,000 MC version. Older MC versions are reportedly not quite as good though.

Does the 1M has some kind of color-cast/tint? there was some rumours about that, IIRC.

Thanx

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rate the Pentax-M f/1.4 which is a good companion to the f/1.7

It's a little softer, a little warmer... really well built... just a really nice lens Smile

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: I want another 50mm lens Reply with quote

aoleg wrote:
Keysersoze27 wrote:

Interesting!!
So they have lightened the body weight of the lens with less metal for costs reasons like Asahi did to their Tak 1.4/50 (Super---> S-M-C).

According to Gary Reese's Lens Tests the NMC gave a slight sharpness increase across the f range and decreased barrel distortion :

Quote:

50mm f/1.4 Zuiko (multi-coated)
OM-2000 with mirror and diaphram prefire; lens with >1,100,000
serial number
Vignetting = D @ f/1.4, B @ f/2, A- @ f/2.8, A @ f/4
Distortion = none

No filter
Aperture Center Corner
f/1.4 B B
f/2 A- B
f/2.8 A A-
f/4 A A
f/5.6 A A-
f/8 A- A-
f/11 A- A-
f/16 B+ B+
Notes: High contrast, except moderate in center at f/1.4, moderately low in corners at f/1.4 and moderate in corners at f/16; remarkably even performance across all apertures.

50mm f/1.4 Zuiko (multi-coated)
OM-1 with mirror lockup; >1,000,000 serial number
Vignetting = B- @ f/1.4
Distortion = moderate barrel
Aperture Center Corner
f/1.4 B B-
f/2 A- B
f/2.8 A- A-
f/4 B+ A-
f/5.6 A+ A
f/8 A A-
f/11 A- A-
f/16 A- B+
Notes: Moderately high contrast with remarkably even performance across all apertures.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: I want another 50mm lens Reply with quote

bogolisk wrote:
Does the 1M has some kind of color-cast/tint? there was some rumours about that, IIRC.

I haven't noticed any. Not compared to the 1.1M anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: I want another 50mm lens Reply with quote

Keysersoze27 wrote:
Interesting!!
So they have lightened the body weight of the lens with less metal for costs reasons like Asahi did to their Tak 1.4/50 (Super---> S-M-C).

According to Gary Reese's Lens Tests the NMC gave a slight sharpness increase across the f range and decreased barrel distortion :

Gary Reese's lens tests are non-scientific, so small variations in sharpness/contrast can be attributed to measuring/perception errors. Note how he gives just one grade for vignetting in lens A and multiple grades (one per aperture setting) for lens B.

The differences, if there, are very small in my experience. Maybe the NMC lens has slightly more contrast, but the improvement is so small (in this particular lens) that I wasn't able to see it. Sharpness and drawing style appear very much the same.

On the other hand, MC/NMC 50/1.8 Zuikos do have more perceptible differences, although the MC one is certainly good enough.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does the color ultron compare to the Zeiss Planars? Is it really sharper wide open? Does it also have good micro contrast?

The Tessar 45 sounds also very interesting but I think 45mm is very close to my Distagon 2.8/35. Does it give better contrast & colors then the Distagon?

Timo