Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

New Lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:48 pm    Post subject: New Lenses Reply with quote

I just got that lot from Goodwill, the one that broke poor Hello Kitty. I must say I am entirely pleased. They're all in excellent shape.

The Vivitar 70-300 MM is very nice. I got to play with that a bit this afternoon and while I didn't get to photograph anything more exciting than a light pole I was suitably impressed with it in PK mount. Now if I can just get an actual bird to sit in front of it I'd be thrilled. It was chilly out today though and the birds just were not into modeling for me I guess.

The 37-75MM Five Star is okay, but I can't say it's anything to write home about. It's kind of soft really compared to the Pentax A or the Vivitar but I only had it on the camera for a few moments so maybe it will be better than I think upon further acquaintance.

The 1:1.7 Pentax? I am totally in love with it so far. It was worth killing the kitty bank and then some! I have a feeling this lens is going to be my go to lens for my *ist. I took some quick pictures of the cats? The pics were so sharp I could see the tiny pieces of dust stuck in her fur and her whiskers completely stood out in fine detail. Best pics I've taken yet with the *ist were with this lens!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are going to have to post up some images... Very Happy I especially want to see the Hello kitty bank!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More pics later. I'm shooting with my mentor this weekend so there will be some to share. This is my Kitty bank on Amazon. It's one of those paint your own deals. Mine is a bit artistically challenged. My little niece painted it and she's not so great with the paint brush, laugh. I'm about to repaint it I think actually. She's been asking me to every time she comes over.

http://www.amazon.com/Hello-Kitty-Paint-Your-Bank/dp/B002Y5WKZC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My version of your kitty bank is my "mad money" that I stash away in a hidden compartment of my wallet that so far my wife hasn't found. Laughing

And there's a local camera fair on Sunday. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Sears 135mm f2.8 Auto MC in PK can be added to my list of new ones. I found one today when I was up helping my buddy do her pick and pack thing. My whole stash today cost me just under $5 including a big camera bag and some other stuff so I figure I pretty much got this lens for free. It was in the pocket of the camera bag. It's supposed to be decent and I didn't have a PK 135MM so I'm pretty happy right now. I'm one working wide angle away from having a full K mount kit! Awesome!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: New Lenses Reply with quote

Ouh, a girl in this manly shrine?
Not trying to be rude, but i havent seen many girls around Razz

magkelly wrote:
I just got that lot from Goodwill, the one that broke poor Hello Kitty. I must say I am entirely pleased. They're all in excellent shape.

The Vivitar 70-300 MM is very nice. I got to play with that a bit this afternoon and while I didn't get to photograph anything more exciting than a light pole I was suitably impressed with it in PK mount. Now if I can just get an actual bird to sit in front of it I'd be thrilled. It was chilly out today though and the birds just were not into modeling for me I guess.

The 37-75MM Five Star is okay, but I can't say it's anything to write home about. It's kind of soft really compared to the Pentax A or the Vivitar but I only had it on the camera for a few moments so maybe it will be better than I think upon further acquaintance.

The 1:1.7 Pentax? I am totally in love with it so far. It was worth killing the kitty bank and then some! I have a feeling this lens is going to be my go to lens for my *ist. I took some quick pictures of the cats? The pics were so sharp I could see the tiny pieces of dust stuck in her fur and her whiskers completely stood out in fine detail. Best pics I've taken yet with the *ist were with this lens!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way to go. My three 50 1.7 lens are all very sharp especially my F f/1.7 auto focus. That Sears lens may bee a good one too. The Sears and J.C. Penny lens I've owned were all good performers.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done pretty good for lenses this week all round. The Pentax 50 is a glory. The more I play with it the more I just love that d- thing. It makes an awesome *ist kit lens! The Sears lens is respectable, the Vivitar is great. I can't say I'm thrilled with the Tou 5 Star but it's an extra lens in my kit and not essential. I even managed to get the bad aperture ring on the 28MM that came with the ME I swapped for fixed thanks to reading a post on TPF so I'm actually pretty set now in terms of my K-mount DSLR.

I still lack an M42 28MM for my Spottie, but since the Yashica has one and I can just swap cameras in terms of using film it's not a big thing. The important thing is both my film and digital needs are now covered that way. I also got the legit Pentax M42 to K mount adapter as part of a swap thing so now I've got K mount (digital) access to all my M42's for the *ist as well.

I'm way ahead of where I was when the year began in terms of the gear available to me. I still wouldn't turn down an *ist to K-x upgrade for Christmas, but I've no real room for complaints in terms of my kit at ALL right now.

I'm probably repeating myself, but my brain is fried and I'm tired. I've been up on ladders hanging colored lights in the windows for the benefit of the neighbors much against my better judgment. I've got a masochistic streak clearly because it's freakin COLD outside for here. I've got a lingering ear infection and the LAST place I should be is up on a step ladder!

And yes, there is a GIRL in the clubhouse. For the record this one absolutely prefers nice lenses to sparkly jewelry type things any day of the week. Item top of my list to Santa is nothing a diamond ring and if he brought me one I'd only sell it and buy a new K-x, so that tells you where my priorities are, laugh.

Oh and I've decided I am going to sell the Tamron 28-200. Being around here and on TPF has apparently completely spoiled me for modern digital lenses. A week into having a few manual ones for my *ist and I just cannot see me ever using the Tamron seriously. I figure I might as well sell it now that I have the 28mm to 300mm range covered manually. It's just an extra lens for me at this point and I am sure there are people who will double my money for me to get it which means more $$$ in my pocket towards a K-x, Takumars or whatever.

Oh gosh, where IS my cocoa! I'm FREEZING! Later, I need a hot beverage, and my fleece robe NOW.