Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Adapters for Nikon and Contax/Yashica glass on Sony/Minolta?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:15 pm    Post subject: Adapters for Nikon and Contax/Yashica glass on Sony/Minolta? Reply with quote

Why can't these be made? Why?! Why?! Why?! Why?! Crying or Very sad

Register distance of Sony Alpha/Minolta AF is 44.6mm.

Nikon is 46.5mm, C/Y is 45.5mm.

Canon EOS, at 44...which easily takes Nikon and C/Y adapters, and with a little shaving and adjusting, Exakta lenses too, at 44.7mm, so it seems you should be able to make an adapter if the register difference is 1.5-2mm. Is there some mount obstruction with Sony/Minolta?

Source of info: at this link

I'm going to be in the market for a new dSLR early next year, preferable full frame, and the Sony A850, with it's in body image stabilization is so very tempting...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure an adapter 0.9mm thick is going to last very long TBH!

Adapters exist for Canon->Exakta but they are too thick to allow infinity focusing. They need to be thicker as they're not strong enough otherwise, as far as I understand it.

Have you looked at Leitax mounts for MM coupled C/Y lenses?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
I'm not sure an adapter 0.9mm thick is going to last very long TBH!

Adapters exist for Canon->Exakta but they are too thick to allow infinity focusing. They need to be thicker as they're not strong enough otherwise, as far as I understand it.

Have you looked at Leitax mounts for MM coupled C/Y lenses?

The Exakta/Canon adaptors vary wildly across samples as far as thickness goes. I've got 3 different styles and one is VERY close. Luckily I'm fairly lens-savvy so I then adjusted the infinity focus so I'm good to go. To get a good Exakta/Canon adapter thin enough and strong enough requires stainless steel, which is strong, but much more difficult, which means expensive, to manufacture. Brass or aluminum don't cut it. I had worked with a master machinist to get see if I could get a run...and he quoted US$300 each for stainless steel! Alas, I could not afford...so I just adjusted infinity focus for my set of prewar Zeiss/Meyer/Schneider lenses.

My C/Y Zeiss lenses are not MM, alas...so the Leitax route means selling my AE lenses and purchasing MM if I go to Sony.

I still don't understand why Nikon lenses can't be adapted tho'. There's 1.9mm difference...must be some protrusion or something?