Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Camera advice ( Canon 1ds )
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:10 pm    Post subject: Camera advice ( Canon 1ds ) Reply with quote

Good evening

I am more than pleased with my 5D. And more likely will stay with this body, until it lasts.

Now that said, i'd "eventually" consider another body, and the 1ds II looks really interesting. I know it's a big heavier, but would still be perfect for some particular worx.

Any users, pro and cons would be appreciated. thanx in advance, i'm not in a hurry. I'd especially would like to know if there's a mirror issue as with some lenses on the 5D.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure it will be a massive step up to be honest, unless you want a pro size camera. I'm not a user, but the ISO performance is slightly better than the 5D, and there are slightly more megapixels. Same low res LCD though as it's older technology.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the AF of the 1Ds is better and the number of images per second.
Iso 1600 without any problem. Excellent eyefinder with 100% coverage.

http://www.eos-numerique.com/index.php?ind=reviews&op=entry_view&iden=150

5D :
http://www.eos-numerique.com/index.php?ind=reviews&op=entry_view&iden=149

Last edited by Olivier on Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx Graham and Olivier. I don't care about lcd size as i disabled the preview and feel much better : )

AF, i could need it in some situations. How about MF lenses on this camera ?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my 5d mkii. Same mirror issues as the mki, but better AF, better LCD, no dust, a whole host of other improvements too.

MAAAHOOOOSIVE improvement on the rebadged Nikon called the 5D Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
I love my 5d mkii. Same mirror issues as the mki, but better AF, better LCD, no dust, a whole host of other improvements too.

I tried the MK II last week at the Southampton LCE Canon day, and to be honest I wasn't blown away. The LCD is improved, and it has better high ISO capability I suppose, but I pretty much decided there are then to invest in a 2nd 5D body rather than a MK II.

The 7D, however, I was VERY impressed with. What a viewfinder for a crop cam! Perfoect for wildlife. The 60D was way better than I expected too. Whlst I thought I'd hate the swivelling LCD, I actually really liked it!

Anyway, apologies, I've gone OT (would you believe it?!)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
martinsmith99 wrote:

I tried the MK II last week at the Southampton LCE Canon day, and to be honest I wasn't blown away. The LCD is improved, and it has better high ISO capability I suppose, but I pretty much decided there are then to invest in a 2nd 5D body rather than a MK II.

The 7D, however, I was VERY impressed with. What a viewfinder for a crop cam! Perfoect for wildlife. The 60D was way better than I expected too. Whlst I thought I'd hate the swivelling LCD, I actually really liked it!

Anyway, apologies, I've gone OT (would you believe it?!)

That just goes to show how opinions are just that. I thought the 5D was the worst camera I'd ever owned and found myself going back to the 40D in preference. The MKii is everything I want in a camera plus some. I just wish my Sigma DC lens would work on it.

Swiveling LCDs are only for women. Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:

Fair point, I could still use it on a Saturday night then at least Wink

With regards the 5D II, it's a lovely camera alright, I just don't think I need it TBH Smile

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
martinsmith99 wrote:

With regards the 5D II, it's a lovely camera alright, I just don't think I need it TBH Smile

`Need' is an interesting word. I don't `need' a camera at all.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:

Except if you want to take photographies. Smile
I think shrek means he is very satisfied with the 5D and doesn't see interest to put money on the table for the 5D MkII.

Are you fine, Martin ? Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
ManualFocus-G wrote:
martinsmith99 wrote:

I know. I just enjoy picking on Graham. No idea why. Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All this debate doesn't help me to know if i "need" a 1Ds II Wink

anyway, now that we're on the 5D case quickly i'd just like to say that :

the 5D II is a fine camera, no doubt. But so is the 5D, and it's perfect for my photo needs iq is superb ! Besides i find the MII lcd far too huge, and don't need video, case closed.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, sorry for going off-topic. I guess I'd have to have a later model if it was me as the older tech would annoy me. I know I have cameras 50+ years old, but they are now classics. The 1D mkii would just look tired.

The 1D range doesn't suffer with `clonkers' to the same extent, although there may be a few Taks with protruding bits that stop them being mounted.

If I remember correctly, you don't want a crop camera? Otherwise I would suggest a 7D or perhaps a 4:3 camera for convenience.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:
martinsmith99 wrote:

Except if you want to take photographies. Smile
I think shrek means he is very satisfied with the 5D and doesn't see interest to put money on the table for the 5D MkII.

Are you fine, Martin ? Very Happy

Quite right Smile Martin is just being a 5D MkII bully Laughing

As for the 1Ds II, it looks like a great camera if you want the extra size and weather resistance.

Hexi, see if you can find one second hand to try. I reckon the feel of the camera is going to be pretty important. For me, they are too big, full stop! I like lugging around huge old primes and I don't think I'd want the extra size or weight, but it's very much a personal thing.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1D must have something going for it if the photojournos (that's a difficult word to type!) prefer it over the 5D. What about build quality?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1D will be weather sealed and take more of a battering.

It is bigger and heavier. I use a grip on my DSLRs so it would be about the same size and weight I expect.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
As for the 1Ds II, it looks like a great camera if you want the extra size and weather resistance

the look of the camera has also its importance, at least for me, and this one is great ! infortunately i didn't had theh occasion to test it on the Paris photo fair, way too much people !

i know it's a bit heavier, but it has also a good iq, maybe less problems with mf lenses than the 5D, anyway it would be a nice backup, or first camera, because i don't plan to invest in a 5DII.

thanx for the infos all