Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Trusty friend (nikkor 35/2)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:14 am    Post subject: Trusty friend (nikkor 35/2) Reply with quote

lens wide open

my beat up car Smile

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like what that lens does. It is on my future list ...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one of the lenses that I regret to have sold.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is my 2nd sharpest lens just after micro 55/2.8 wide open.... and I've never regret buying both Wink

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Renault 19 ! Wink

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, can you post a picture of the lens

Olivier wrote:
Nice Renault 19 ! Wink

mdr

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's the lens

it's been AI-ed and chiped Smile

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you DIY it or was it a professional conversion?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DIY Wink

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a very pretty late pre-AI Nikkor, Roman. Nice-looking DIY job on the aperture ring, too.

Hope you don't mind. Here's a pic of my Nikkor OC 35mm f/2. Earlier model than yours, of course. Since Sting asked, I thought I'd point out how to tell the difference between a well-done AI modification of the aperture ring, and a replacement ring made by Nikon. Note the smaller case aperture numbers at the bottom of the ring. A pre-AI ring does not have them. That's the easiest way to tell. I've seen some AI jobs done where a small piece of white tape with the numbers printed on it is laid down on the aperture ring.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NikonD wrote:
DIY Wink

Respect man - the conversion looks neat!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
That's a very pretty late pre-AI Nikkor, Roman. Nice-looking DIY job on the aperture ring, too.

Hope you don't mind. Here's a pic of my Nikkor OC 35mm f/2. Earlier model than yours, of course. Since Sting asked, I thought I'd point out how to tell the difference between a well-done AI modification of the aperture ring, and a replacement ring made by Nikon. Note the smaller case aperture numbers at the bottom of the ring. A pre-AI ring does not have them. That's the easiest way to tell. I've seen some AI jobs done where a small piece of white tape with the numbers printed on it is laid down on the aperture ring.

I remember seeing some website in the US offering AI conversion service, but it is not cheap.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Michael and stingOM

thanks... I used only a fine file

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stingOM wrote:

I remember seeing some website in the US offering AI conversion service, but it is not cheap.

Nikon stopped producing the replacement AI aperture rings for the old lenses some 20 years ago or so. I know because I used to live close to their repair facility in Torrance, CA back in my camera dealer days and whenever I would buy a non-AI Nikkor, I'd pick up the conversion kit from them. The word from the repair techs then was that there weren't many more of them being seen and it was pretty much a "stock on hand" deal. Then there was a repair tech in Nevada who hit the Torrance facility and bought ALL the AI conversion kits they had left. He cornered the market, and began charging a tidy sum for the conversion. Not much anybody else could do about it.

So nowadays if anybody has any of these conversion kits left, I'm thinking they're worth quite a bit. So if the website you saw is offering the genuine Nikon kits, this is why. There aren't many left.

By the way, by "kit" I'm referring to what was usually the aperture ring and also often a lever arm that was used to engage the aperture iris. For some reason these arms sometimes had to be redesigned and thus were included with the new rings.