Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vintage Kowa Prominar Anamorphic - Suitable for 7D?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:42 am    Post subject: Vintage Kowa Prominar Anamorphic - Suitable for 7D? Reply with quote

Hi there,

I recently had a chance to get hold of a vintage Kowa Anamorphic (see attachment photo). It has a rather small rear thread (39mm) ... so I was wondering if I could fit it somehow on the thread of a 50mm nikon lens? Is that possible with step-down rings, or are there problems?

Also, maybe it's possible to mount a leica lens (with 39mm thread) to the canon 7d?

An lastly, it seems like you can reverse-mount an anamorphic lens?

Anyone got some tips & advice?

Greets,
Frank

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Kowa Prominar Anamorphic - Suitable for 7D? Reply with quote

Taapo wrote:

Quote to bypass first-poster antispam filter.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can be done, yet the question remains if that would make sense because:
1) it has a 2x stretch factor
2) it is very (front) heavy, so the main taking lens front filter ring plus teh lens mount to the camera get quite some mechanical strain
3) a special clamp needs to be made that clamps the rear of the Prominar lens to either the front filter ring or the taking lens barrel
4) on ebay a guy sells such universal clamping rings (as filmmakers use such lenses) (*)
5) as you may already know, both taking lens AND the Prominar anamorphic lens need to be focused for sharp images
6) the closes focusing distance reduces down to about 2 meters, further focus needs front diopter(s)

(*) see eb?y 180590913775