Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

55mm comparison + Rikenon XR 50/2.0 + performance at 1 meter
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:45 pm    Post subject: 55mm comparison + Rikenon XR 50/2.0 + performance at 1 meter Reply with quote

Yesterday I've started this topic:
http://forum.mflenses.com/3-x-55mm-lens-test-on-oly-e-p1-t34012.html
in which I compared the SMC Tak 55/1.8, Super Tak 55/2.0 and Vivitar 55/2.8 macro. All three lenses performed well and differences in performance were very small. Today however, my PK to M4/3 adapter arrived so I decided to add the Rikenon XR 50mm f/2.0 to the test. Although the mechanical quality of this lens is less than the Takumars or the Vivitar, some people praise this lens for its excellent optical performance. Pictures are taken at approx. 3,5 meter distance.

Let's compare the crops:

Wide open, the Rikenon suffers less from softness than the two Takumars.
Take a look at the white CD cover (under the purple one). The title 'La Boheme' is only readable on the Rikenon picture @ wide open. Take also a look at the CD-cover at the bottom. Also here, the readability of the letters is clearly better on the Rikenon's picture. Stopped down to F/5.6 the Rikenon still seems the best performer IMO.

Because the Vivitar 55/2.8 macro is, as you'd expect, a macrolens, I decided to do a second test in which I would take pictures at closer distance (I decided to test this at approx. 1 meter distance). I wondered if the Vivitar's close focus qualities would already kick in at this distance.
All pictures were taken at F/5.6. Check it out:

Although this subject is probably not ideal to test close focus abilities, IMO it's clear the Vivitar performs better than the other lenses. This shows most clearly on the upper CD, and also in the second one.

What can we conclude?
Although there's always the possibility of sample-to-sample variation, I think it's fair to conclude that the Rikenon XR 50/2.0 is a very good lens indeed. Competition is tough at this focal distance. In other words, most 50mm primes are pretty damn good. Still, the RX seems to be better than the Tak 55/1.8 en Tak 55/2.0, especially wide open. On the other hand, the mechanical quality of the Taks is much better. Another conclusion we can draw is that the Vivitar is a better lens in close focus situations and that this is already clear at a distance of 1 meter.
But maybe you disagree, feel free to add your comments!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with your conclusions about these lenses at f5.6.