Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Hello, are these good buys?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:03 pm    Post subject: Hello, are these good buys? Reply with quote

Hello, I'm new to the forum. I found it through POTN. I have use a Canon T1i (500D) and am looking to get into manual focus lenses. I currently have a Tamron 17-50 2.8, and a Sigma 10-20. I am pretty happy with these lenses, but am wanting the sharpness and DOF that it seems you can get from MF lenses.

So, I went shopping at flea markets and such this weekend and found a few potentials. I found a couple Olympus Zuiko 50mm lenses, but they were attached to bodies and they wanted $175, ouch. Not a good deal. I also found a SMC Pentax M 50mm 1.7. It looked to be in good shape. It was mounted on a Pentax ME body (with a Vivitar flash) all for $45. It seems to be a good deal. I've read on here that the SMC Pentax lenses are desirable. Would this be a good one to start out with? It seems to adapt easily to Canon EOS.

Also, from the same 'booth' they were selling a DeJur 135mm 3.5 lens. I haven't read a whole lot about it, other than it's an 'ok' lens. However, it was in pristine condition with a case for a whopping $8. At first, I thought it was a Zeiss lens, as the build and markings look almost identical. However, it did say "automatic" on it, so would that even mount with an adapter?

So, thanks in advance! I've been trying to read up as much as possible. There are just so many different lenses, mounts, and variations. Any help would be appreciated. I'm pretty sure the Pentax would be a good deal at least.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 50mm f/1.7 is a very good lens. Quite sharp and very good color rendition. I use mine for weddings and family portraits.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Dawg wrote:
The 50mm f/1.7 is a very good lens. Quite sharp and very good color rendition. I use mine for weddings and family portraits.

Fantastic! How's the price, assuming it includes the body and flash of course? Seems like I could dump the body for at least $10-20, bringing the price of the actual lens down to $30 or less...

It says "Asahi" on it, for what's it's worth.

Also, the other ones is a 2.8, not a 3.5. I just wonder for $8 if it's worth it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

8 USD ? what you can buy for it ? Buy everything under 50 USD and play ...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

Eh, that's kinda what I thought. And it seems like it's a Nikon mount (not sure, just did some researching). But that's good because my wife shoots with a Nikon.

So I assume $45 for the SMC Pentax-M 50 f1.7 is a good price?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About right, you can get maybe a bit cheaper on ebay, even counting shipping, but you don't get to inspect these.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
About right, you can get maybe a bit cheaper on ebay, even counting shipping, but you don't get to inspect these.

Since I'm a virgin to buying vintage lenses, is there anything I should look for? I assume smooth focus and aperture ring, making sure the aperture closes, etc. I would assume that dust inside the lens is probably pretty normal.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use a led torch and light throw lens, dust is ok but if fully covered that is haze , required to clean also if you look like spider web thing that is fungus. Some big scratch is ok if lens price is fine, if lot of small scratch there like no free space on lens surface that makes lens to soft.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure the Pentax-M 50/1.7 is a good lens, but I've read more than once that the Pentax-A successor is a noticeable improvement over it (in image quality, not build quality). Both should be very affordable.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AhamB wrote:
I'm sure the Pentax-M 50/1.7 is a good lens, but I've read more than once that the Pentax-A successor is a noticeable improvement over it (in image quality, not build quality). Both should be very affordable.

I picked up both. They are both in pretty good shape. The DeLux turned out to have a Canon FD mount, which I can't use. I could try using it with my wife's Nikon, but I'll probably just sell it. Everything works smoothly on it and the optics are good, so for $8, I can just get rid of it on eBay.

I'm going to get an adapter for the Pentax and see how it works!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

As we say in the South...Amen Brother!!!