Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Some more M42 lenses to identify!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:12 pm    Post subject: Some more M42 lenses to identify! Reply with quote

Another batch of M42 lenses arrived today, and a body. The average cost of everything, including shipping, was US$8 each. Such a deal! The body is a Focal 1000 TLX, probably by Ricoh. The lenses are a mixed lot, all made in Japan. Can anyone help me identify the lensmakers of each?

* Auto Rikenon 55/1.8 #31251; 52mm; M/A; f-index: red dot & line
* Fujinon 55/1.8 #330179; 49mm; auto; f-index: red dot & line
* Focal MC Auto 28/2.8 #540547; 55mm; M/A; f-index: red dot & line
* accura Diamatic 28/2.8 #291576; 52mm; M/A; f-index: red dot
* Auto Sears 135/2.8 #17388; 55mm; M/A; f-index: red dot
* Auto Focal 200/3.5 #C366672; 58mm; M/A; f-index: hollow red diamond
* Auto Sears Tele-Zoom 55-135/3.5 #201450; 62mm; M/A; solid red diamond

Also just arrived, with an average cost of US$12 each, are:

* Yashica ML 50/1.4 (C/Y) #A1004667; 52mm; f-index: red dot & line
* Vivitar Series 1 28-90/2.8-3.5 (MD) #28425866; f-index: red dot
* Promaster Spectrum 7 28-70/3.5-4.5 (KAF) - I know it's Tamron

The Promaster AF is Tamron and it's not manual, so forget I mentioned it. The Rikenon might be Ricoh, or is this a rebadged contract job? Of the others, the Sears 55-135 zoom is amazing, with almost Takumar-like build quality and movements, and with a short built-in hood. And it is HEAVY at 680g! The Sears 135 has similar build quality but different font, and focus is a bit sticky. The Focals both seem solid enough, as does the mysterious accura. Who made these?

Uh oh, that Vivitar macro is for Minolta, which I can't use; that goes straight to eBay. I've seen some plans for converting a C/Y mount to PK but I don't know if the conversion is reversible. I need to think about it... I haven't shot any of the other lenses yet (except the surprisingly good Promaster AF zoom) and don't know which I'll keep.

Thanks for any information on these cheap lenses!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Rikenon, Fujica and Yashica lenses should all be excellent. Great work!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
The Rikenon, Fujica and Yashica lenses should all be excellent. Great work!

+1 and I have a Sears 135mm f2.8 which is also an excellent one.

http://www.mflenses.com/gallery/v/japenese/othermaker/sears_135mm_f2_8/

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Rikenon's maker is very uncertain; there are various theories as to the makers of that line of Ricoh Mamiya Chinon and Yashica lenses. Some say Tomioka, some say a generic consortium of ddsigners and component makers.

Fuji would have made the Fujinon.

Focal was the store brand of K-Mart
Sears of course was Sears
Accura was a brand used by an importer

These all sold many makers lenses over the years, so there is no way to know for sure without seeing the lens. And even then ...

The Sears 55-135 62mm filter is very likely an early Tokina zoom. These were also made in T4 mount and sold as Soligors and Vivitars.

The Accura Diamatics seem to have been Sankors, or at least it seems many of them were.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@luisalegria,
Thanks for the ID's. I know a little about Sears and Focal/KMart and their numerous suppliers, just not whom supplied what. I have a great Auto Sears 55/1.4 (Tomioka) and have read that even Pentax supplied some Sears lenses. This 55-135 zoom just seems heftier and smoother than other Tokina glass of that vintage that I've handled.

I know some of these are hard to ID, which is why I included serials and the type of aperture mark, just in case someone has that info stashed away in a database somewhere. I need all the help I can get!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More helpful would be, if you include photos of the lenses. They can be more easily identified by similarities to better known brands.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Green Mr. Green Nice score on the rikenons and fujinon...actually all of those lenses!!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Vivitar 55-135 Tokina made and it is very smooth as well as being a quite decent lens. It has a very smooth focus and like most of the T4's is on the heavy side.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read a report of a rumour that Tomioka made many of the *non lenses (Revuenon, Yashinon, Fujinon, Chinon, Rikenon, etc). Is this merely an Urban Legend?

BRunner wrote:
More helpful would be, if you include photos of the lenses. They can be more easily identified by similarities to better known brands.

I was afraid of that. ;( I'll get some pictures up tomorrow.

mo wrote:
Mr. Green Mr. Green Nice score on the rikenons and fujinon...actually all of those lenses!!

Yes, I think I did rather well this time.
[/me nonchalantly buffs fingernails, looks innocent]
They mitigate some of my dumber moves.

More lenses should arrive soon, in the same price range, that I can brag about.
Rokinon 35 and 135 f/2.8's; Chinon 45 (pancake) and 135 2.8's and 80-205/4.5 (all with a K1000); Zuiko 50/1.8, etc.
At least I *hope* I can brag about them.

"The man who laughs has not yet been told the terrible news."
--Bertolt Brecht

Big Dawg wrote:
I have a Vivitar 55-135 Tokina made and it is very smooth as well as being a quite decent lens. It has a very smooth focus and like most of the T4's is on the heavy side.

This is definitely not a T4. But I'll provisionally tag it as Tokina, and put pictures up tomorrow, I promise! I look forward to taking this and the others out into the world. But I doubt the 55-135 will be part of my regular kit, not unless I obtain a burro or porter to haul the weight.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How heavy is the Vivitar Series 1 28-90/2.8-3.5 (MD) #28425866; f-index: red dot ? I might be interested.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the delay. I'll have pix up soon.

revers wrote:
How heavy is the Vivitar Series 1 28-90/2.8-3.5 (MD) #28425866; f-index: red dot ? I might be interested.

Hi Ron. It's 650g. Here's the picture I'll put on the eBay listing.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rico.