Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

E620 IS back the front?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:56 pm    Post subject: E620 IS back the front? Reply with quote

I have the Olympus E620 set up with a M42 adapter with AF confirm and currently a Super Takumar 55mm f2.

Hand held and at a shutter speed of approximately 1/40th with the IS switched 'OFF' I get a reasonably steady image. However if I turn the IS to 'IS1' and take a photo with the same setting the image is very blurry as if shot say half a second.

I have tried the IS focal length setting at both 50mm and as a random thought at the 2x factor of 100mm but this made no difference.

If I put the kit lens 14-42mm on the IS works as it should.

If I am not mistaken although the IS is built into the body and therefore shouldn't make a difference which lens is attached.

Any thoughts or links to similar posts would be much appreciated.

Stephen

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I do not know exactly how it works Olympus IS, I'm almost sure focal length influences functioning of IS, because different lengths need different adjustments (IS should recognize body movement, but amplitude needed to compensate depends on focal length). However I do not know why you are not able to set it in the right way. Waiting with interest for explanations...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read the manual, it clearly states that for a manual lens, the focal length has to be manually given. There is a menu for it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found that if the M42 adapter has a 'software' focal length adjustment, it makes a big difference in focus. This, of course, makes a zoom lens a bother to use. This is based on my experience with an adapter with the focal length adjustment on my E-510.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klaus - is what you are saying not the same as what I have said in my original post?

"I have tried the IS focal length setting at both 50mm and as a random thought at the 2x factor of 100mm but this made no difference. "

Stephen

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well now I'm even more confused as on trying again this morning all appears to work as it should. Same camera, lens and setting?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raffman wrote:
Well now I'm even more confused as on trying again this morning all appears to work as it should. Same camera, lens and setting?

maybe order of operation: before or after putting the lens or so (I'm just guessing).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are using the Dandelion chipped M42 adapter--

http://f22plus.wordpress.com/2009/08/12/dandelion-chip-with-olympus-e-510/

I believe this type adapter overrides the manual setting within the camera and presents the M42 lens as a native lens.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what a hassle all that seems

for hand held I do the following

- I attach the lens and set the focal length
- set to Manual or Av
- adjust the aperture on the lens (this does not relate to the cameras lcd)
- with the lens stopped down I focus the lens, camera set to SAF as this give a 'beep' confirm.
- if the using small apertures I stop down after focusing and composing
- take the shot