Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Question regarding Macro FD lens on EOS
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:46 am    Post subject: Question regarding Macro FD lens on EOS Reply with quote

Been a while since I've been here! But that's offtopic.

I have been looking for a decent macro lense for quite some time but it was hard to find it for a decent price with M42 mount. Now this 'idea' struck me and I was wondering if my way of thinking is correct here prior to going to a purchase.

When looking around on ebay and similiar pages I often find the Panagor 90/2.8 for a high price with M42 mount, however the FD equivalents are much much cheaper. Knowing the issues of FD to EOS adapters, I think that these are not relevant to those that only want to us the lens as macro. As the adapter will only function as a small macro extension tube and the loss of infinity isn't important here.

Am I right to think that it is 'safe' to purchase a Panagor 90/2.8 in FD mount with an adapter without optics?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Am I right to think that it is 'safe' to purchase a Panagor 90/2.8 in FD mount with an adapter without optics?

Of course it's safe! And you are correct, an adapter with no optics will behave exactly like an extension tube. I believe there is a Panagor 55mm 1:1 macro in canon FD on KEH.com for $30 right now.

In my experience, I have bought some lenses in mounts other than my camera's native mount (Nikon) because I wanted to try them very badly and the other mounts (especially FD) were so much cheaper. I would use homemade adapters or whatever (no optics, just like extension tubes). You will get the full performance of the lens in terms of image quality but that lack of the full range of focus just became annoying to me. I always ended up selling the lenses and buying the lens in the correct mount. As many members here often say, with patience, you can just about always find what you're looking for at the price you were hoping for.

But the issue of not have infinity focus, even though I'm doing macro work, very well might just be my own insanity! Shocked

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I suppose using a Macro Lens on Infinity is just for the purpose of perhaps landscapes or portraits? I can't think of a 'macro-moment' for which you'd need Infinity focus as you are probably better of changing the lens, or am I seeing this wrong? Is there more loss than just infinity perhaps?

Before this I have only been using Bellows+Carl Zeiss 135/3.5 for macro work, I suppose a 90/2.8 will be a godsend compared to that combination ( in terms of usage )? Besides the huge loss of stops/light.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It works perfect. I use my Minolta macro Rokkor 100mm 3.5 lens the same way. It is a lens with normal reach till 1:2, for 1:1 a need the special extension ring.
On my DSLR with glassless adapter it focuses 40-120cm, so nothing to complain (but not for portraits).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Macro work with a glasless adapter should work very fine - as long as the lens has no floating elements correction for the near field.

I did that with my Fd 300/2.8L and the 100/4 macro for a while - until I converted them both.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is there more loss than just infinity perhaps?

No you won't lose anything else, at least nothing that will prevent you from making great images. Some very technical minds may chime in about some minute details but for all intents and purposes, as Minolfan says, it should work perfectly!

My need for infinity is actually because of my girlfriend, haha. I am walking around shooting macros and all of a sudden the Girl wants a picture of this or that far off object. "Oh boy, get those clouds over there! Take the picture now!". I can't say, "No, wrong lens" or I get hit . This has happened too many times. Embarassed

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah I see, well when I go out I do it for a target and I got no one around me to nag Razz.

Thanks for the quick replies and advice. I found one in FD mount for 65€ which I immediatly bought. Can't wait for it to arrive!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justorchit ------- dump the girlfriend if she hits you now ----- a lens is for life not just Christmas

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

justtorchit wrote:
My need for infinity is actually because of my girlfriend, haha. I am walking around shooting macros and all of a sudden the Girl wants a picture of this or that far off object. "Oh boy, get those clouds over there! Take the picture now!". I can't say, "No, wrong lens" or I get hit . This has happened too many times. Embarassed

Laughing Laughing Laughing

trev wrote:
Justorchit ------- dump the girlfriend if she hits you now ----- a lens is for life not just Christmas

Laughing For some reason this reminds me a car sticker I once saw which read "A dog is for life, not just for Saturday night" Shocked

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on the buy JWH, I'm sure you'll be pleased with your results! And I apologize for this thread becoming my personal support group...thanks guys!