Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikon D5000 and manual focus Nikon/Nikkor lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:55 am    Post subject: Nikon D5000 and manual focus Nikon/Nikkor lenses Reply with quote

I have always used a canon with adapter for my MF lenses. I sold the canon and moved to a Nikon D5000. I would like to get some nikon/nikkor glass [prob 50mm fast] as I believe they fit straight onto my body. so I have a couple questions...

1, Is this correct? Will they just pop straight on?

2, What lenses are of superior quality or will give the very best image quality that will fit straight onto my camera?

Many thanks

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Nikon D5000 and manual focus Nikon/Nikkor lenses Reply with quote

andyw wrote:

..... as I believe they fit straight onto my body. so I have a couple questions...

1, Is this correct? Will they just pop straight on?

Yes - apart from a handful of exotics which require mirror lock-up.

Quote:
2, What lenses are of superior quality or will give the very best image quality that will fit straight onto my camera?

You mentioned a fast 50 mm. Here's a recent review on this forum ...

http://forum.mflenses.com/nikon-50mm-1-2-t33623.html

Any other FLs ?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FLs ???? sorry don't understand what FLs means.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry! Focal Length.

This site ...

http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_surv.html

gives reviews of very many Nikkors.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant, thanks Smile

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy,
I moderate a group on Flickr about using non metering MF lenses on Nikon DSLR's & one of the most recommended lenses is the 55mm F3.5 Micro. I don't have this particular one but do have the 55mm F2.8 which replaced it & i is a really good lens . Also much sought after are the 100mm F2.8 "E" & the 75-150 F3.5 "E" Nikon lenses.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google Bjorn Rorslett and go to his website. He has reviewed most of the older nikkors and I can assure you his judgement is very sound. The 50/1.4AIS is not cheap, but a very fine lens. Same with 35/1.4. Scott's recommendation is very good if you can deal with the f3.5 widest aperture, it's a remarkable value for money. The 85/2 comes in that heading as well and the 105/2.5 is an underpriced legend.

patrickh

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont forget the 28 2.8 and 28 2.0. Both are great lenses for wide angle!

Also the 85 1.4 AIS is a true legend, many say its better than the 1.4D or G!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kawasakiguy37 wrote:
Dont forget the 28 2.8 ...

There are 4 different flavours here (excluding the AF versions) - K, Ai, AiS and E - and they have different qualities. Although the AiS is highly rated for close/medium subjects it may not be ideal for landscapes. Some people recommend one of the 28/3.5 lenses here.

Quote:
Both are great lenses for wide angle!

Not really - the diagonal of a D5000 sensor is close to 28 mm.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had 28/3.5 AI and it was great wide open... even at infinity

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks people!! Certainly a lot to look at. The 85mm looks a good choice as well as the 105mm.

Thanks Smile