Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

First roll with the Balda Baldamatic II (Shots added)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 8:03 pm    Post subject: First roll with the Balda Baldamatic II (Shots added) Reply with quote

This is the first roll: From 24 shots, only 19 have been exposed. The first few were not exposed because the shutter was sticky, but after that few ones all the remaining were successful. No light leaks, the cam works quite smoothly and it's easy to use, great ergonomy.

These are some samples:

Nice colouring, quite sharp. A pleasure to use.

Regards.
Jes.

Last edited by Jesito on Thu May 05, 2011 3:04 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They came out nice. Great colors, I love the green in the third one. I think you have a winner.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice result ! I like them!

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, colleagues.

The greens probably are helped by the film: a roll of ISO 100 Fuji Superia, expired but kept in the fridge for long time...

Regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:
Thanks, colleagues.

The greens probably are helped by the film: a roll of ISO 100 Fuji Superia, expired but kept in the fridge for long time...

Regards.
Jes.

If it was in fridge several years no matter ,your subject selection was perfect for presentation , closer subjects always help a lot to film.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your isco lens is really very good. And the meter is good too.

Colors, contrast, resolution power, all is adecuate.

I like the first so much. Nice colors, the wall is very well resolved and it's a difficult test.

Congratulations Jess.

Rino.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great Jes! You have a winner.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent results, Jes, congrats!

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

If it was in fridge several years no matter ,your subject selection was perfect for presentation , closer subjects always help a lot to film.

Thanks, Attila. This is the first time I use "expired in the fridge" kind of film. I heavily use expired film stored at room temperature with quite good results, but the colleague who sold me the Balda gave me also a roll of film he kept in his fridge. As you say, nothing to claim. Seems like fresh film Wink.

estudleon wrote:
Your isco lens is really very good. And the meter is good too.

Colors, contrast, resolution power, all is adecuate.

I like the first so much. Nice colors, the wall is very well resolved and it's a difficult test.

Congratulations Jess.

Rino.

Thanks, Rino. The first shot was intended to be a test of both focus and DOF, and I got surprised on how much detail gets caught even at the DOF extremes. The closest focusing distance is 1m and I was focusing against the tree. The fourth shot was a low light test, @2.8 (wide open), hand held. Quite good results for a camera built in 1959 and that was not used for 20 years.

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
Looks great Jes! You have a winner.

Thanks, Andy. Now that has passed the entry test is time to do some CLA Wink.

Katastrofo wrote:
Excellent results, Jes, congrats!

Thanks, Bill. Hope everything is well at your side...

Regards.
Jes.

Last edited by Jesito on Thu May 05, 2011 3:06 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more test shots:

Regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jes, that looks to be a well-mannered and generous lens, sharp and with a good perspective. Nice camera, I love to see these working well, in the hands of a good photographer.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
Jes, that looks to be a well-mannered and generous lens, sharp and with a good perspective. Nice camera, I love to see these working well, in the hands of a good photographer.

Thanks, Jussi, you're very kind Smile

Now comes the though part: CLA...

Regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more thing. The lens have not the dried appareance in the OOF, like the tessar type lenses of his time. Specially in the green leaves at the background.

Well done.

Rino

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:
One more thing. The lens have not the dried appareance in the OOF, like the tessar type lenses of his time. Specially in the green leaves at the background.

Well done.

Rino

Yes! that's what I was reaching for Smile

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very worthwhile results, Jes.
I love seeing these oldies brought back, and iirc, the Baldamatic was good in its day (and still is).

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although not highly respected, some of the ISCO lenses fitted to relatively modest cameras can be very good performers.

In the mid 70s I bought a brand-new Regula Picca-CLK camera with an ISCO lens, a very modest camera with guesstimate front cell focussing, programmed manual exposure via a coupled selenium meter: its shutter speed and aperture were coupled in a way that you're only able to use f/2.8 at 1/30s, f/16 and 1/500s, and all the intermediate settings in between.

The man at the E6 lab asked me which model of the Leica I used, when I called in to pick up the Ektachromes; when I told him what I used he was convinced that I was pulling his leg.

Naturally that was what a brand-new, factory-fresh camera could do. Judging by your photographs, it is still no slouch after all these years.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farside wrote:
Very worthwhile results, Jes.
I love seeing these oldies brought back, and iirc, the Baldamatic was good in its day (and still is).

Thanks, Dave. To me was a surprise the good colouring and resolution. I got it by accident. I read an ad on our local second hand website ("www.segundamano.es") about an olympus mju-80 II really cheap, and since I own the mju-110 II, I thought toget it as well (these mjus are really good compact film cameras). Since it was a retired man and lived in a village nearby Barcelona, I had to pick the car and visit him. A friendly guy, we quickly started talking about photography for a long while.
When I was about to go, he told me that he also was trying to sell an old camera, that maybe could be of interest to me, and took out the Baldamatic. I fell in love quickly, so I picked it as well. And then he offered me also a modern Nikon F, but it was too much cameras for a single day Wink

Regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seele wrote:
Although not highly respected, some of the ISCO lenses fitted to relatively modest cameras can be very good performers.

In the mid 70s I bought a brand-new Regula Picca-CLK camera with an ISCO lens, a very modest camera with guesstimate front cell focussing, programmed manual exposure via a coupled selenium meter: its shutter speed and aperture were coupled in a way that you're only able to use f/2.8 at 1/30s, f/16 and 1/500s, and all the intermediate settings in between.

The man at the E6 lab asked me which model of the Leica I used, when I called in to pick up the Ektachromes; when I told him what I used he was convinced that I was pulling his leg.

Naturally that was what a brand-new, factory-fresh camera could do. Judging by your photographs, it is still no slouch after all these years.

Thanks for the comment and the funny anecdote. A friend of mine had the same experience with the Yashicamat shots being thought there were done with a Hasselblad.

Regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comment and the funny anecdote. A friend of mine had the same experience with the Yashicamat shots being thought there were done with a Hasselblad.

... of course they used to teach this in photofinishing school (the best, most exclusive ones were in Switzerland), where they were taught to say such flattering things to specific photographer types... Laughing

---

I like coming back to this thread, the photos have that old time charm-school elegance