Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon 50mm 1.8 - 50D - C&C welcome
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:39 pm    Post subject: Canon 50mm 1.8 - 50D - C&C welcome Reply with quote

Saturday afternoon in Paris, nice weather, little walk in the Parc de Bagatelle near Paris - other shots with this inexpensive but adorable lens.

ISO100, no post-processing

1/2000s f/1,8

1/60 f/10

1/3200 f/1,8

1/2000 f/1,8

1/1250 f/1,8

Last edited by ylyad on Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:49 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say you could get much better results with Mir 1B 37mm 2.8 | Helios 44M shooting the same stuff. 50/1.8 has this synthetic bokeh... just doesn't look pretty and it looks flat, not 3d. The amount of CA is also irritating.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly, but they were not in the bag Razz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Canon 50mm 1.8 - 50D - C&C welcome Reply with quote

I had this lens. Well if you look for CA, and stuff and this and that .... you can always bitch about a lens. I had pleasure to use it and it produced pix i liked, you might say i'm not very demanding Wink

Pic 2 very good, shows the ability of this lens stopped down a bit, the others are showing the nice blur, which may not be the best, but hey the price of this lens is unbeatable.

ylyad wrote:
1/32000 f/1,8

Ha ! i don't believe this Razz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Canon 50mm 1.8 - 50D - C&C welcome Reply with quote

hexi wrote:
I had this lens. Well if you look for CA, and stuff and this and that .... you can always bitch about a lens. I had pleasure to use it and it produced pix i liked, you might say i'm not very demanding Wink

Pic 2 very good, shows the ability of this lens stopped down a bit, the others are showing the nice blur, which may not be the best, but hey the price of this lens is unbeatable.

ylyad wrote:
1/32000 f/1,8

Ha ! i don't believe this Razz

Oops, edited. Thanks Smile I must be not very demanding too...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one too,but i think well the aperture is lager then 2 (2 or 1.8), the picture is not clean and clarity enough。 but i for it price we could not expect too much。 it is a good lens for portrait

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm assuming this is the EF 50/1.8? Aka "nifty fifty."

Seems like this lens is either slammed or praised for its optical qualities. Cool I don't own one, so my comments are based on net-based observations only.

I guess my eyes are not discriminating enough, cuz I can't see enough CA to care about it. The bokeh are just so-so, but not annoying to me.

However, I find the second shot to be particularly good, and in fact the increased depth of field really opens up the scene. An old sycamore, I believe?

Lots of folks have used the nifty fifty as portrait lenses with great results. Do a search over at POTN and you'll see what I mean. It's a great lens for folks on a budget who can't yet afford the 50/1.4 (3.5 x cheaper).

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Michael. Yes it's the nifty fifty Smile It's a plane tree and yes, I do like this second shot a lot. And well, I like that lens too. AF has some advantages too...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ylyad wrote:
It's a plane tree and yes, I do like this second shot a lot.

Thanks for the clarification. After a bit of googling, I discovered that the Plane tree and the Sycamore are sister species of the genus Platanus. Huh. Always learn something here.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vulko wrote:
I'd say you could get much better results with Mir 1B 37mm 2.8 | Helios 44M shooting the same stuff. 50/1.8 has this synthetic bokeh... just doesn't look pretty and it looks flat, not 3d. The amount of CA is also irritating.

Maybe you should try a Fdn 50mm f1.8 on film Wink

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
ylyad wrote:
It's a plane tree and yes, I do like this second shot a lot.

... the Plane tree and the Sycamore are sister species of the genus Platanus.

Actually they can be the same species. "Sycamore" is used as a common name for Platanus in N. America whereas "Plane" is used in Europe.

To add to the confusion, Plane is also used in N. America. So, for example, "American Sycamore" and "American Plane" both refer to Platanus occidentalis.

In the UK "Sycamore" is usually reserved for a different tree - Acer pseudoplatanus - which is called a "Maple" in other parts of Europe.