Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Cosinon 135mm f/3.5 M42
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:46 pm    Post subject: Cosinon 135mm f/3.5 M42 Reply with quote

Weather has been terrible here lately. Hail all day a couple of days ago brrrrr Crying or Very sad

So I've been stuck around the house with not much to do, so I thought I'd make a start on posting up some lenses.

This Cosinon 135mm f/3.5 preset in M42 mount is a bit soft. Has a 10 blade iris and has a nice smooth bokeh and circular oof highlights. Pretty soft wide open, sharpens up a bit stopped down, but isn't much good for anything but "middle aged lady" portraiture Laughing

Not the best lens, but posted here for info purposes anyway.

Sorry, taken on a crop sensor 1.5x
Tripod mounted, shot at iso 100, in camera NR turned on, no sharpening and only white balance adjustment in post using a grey card.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have had lousy weather here too Sad
A nice little lens you have... I have a Titar branded lens that is almost the same except green numbers instead of yellow an O-C ring instead of the double aperture ring,A pineapple rubber grip and a T mount that looks like it would suit your lens Very Happy Is yours a T mount?And it has Ten blades...I was wondering who may have made this lens.
A great lens report by the way Cool

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I never really had a close look at the mount, but you made me curious so I took a proper look. It isn't a T mount, and in fact, I don't think it was originally M42 at all.

It looks like someone's converted it. The mount detaches quite easily, you can see 2 of the 3 screws in the picture. Thing is those screws don't screw into anything in the lens itself, they only "grip" an inner ring that definitely looks a bit rough and hand made. The custom inner ring looks like it is attached to where the previous mount was originally.

How about that Shocked

Thing is, it is the easiest lens I have to attach/detach because of the way the mount has a grip. I always get a bit nervous with other M42s pushing pulling the focus or aperture ring to get 'em on and off.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally, an exception to the rule.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is always a surprise waiting in the world of lenses Very Happy Is there a chance of a photo showing the odd mount and what's underneath?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That lens looks almost identical to my M42 Sunagor Series 1 135mm f2.8 !

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try and get some pics of the mount assemble done today (missus is going away for a few days and I'm stuck looking after our 4 month old girl by myself -eep! Shocked )

Halli, do you reckon you could post a pic of your sunagor, I'm very curious about this 135mm now..

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rukmeister wrote:

Halli, do you reckon you could post a pic of your sunagor, I'm very curious about this 135mm now..

Will do. I'll take some test shots today and a shot of the lens too.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That inner ring is part of the t-mount Smile If you put the M42 bit back on and screw the screws in really tight, the mount and the inner ring will come off together, revealing the t-mount. Failing that, use an adjustable spanner to get the inner part off. Plenty of us have had this issue Smile

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yerrr, it is kind of a t mount. Let me clarify. It has a T mount attached, but I doubt the lens itself was originally. I tried to get some shots today, but I can't get the right angle to show what I mean.

The inner ring isn't solid metal, or rather I should say not just metal. It looks like someone has used some sort of cement like substance to build up what is underneath, then sanded it back to make something a bit like a T mount inner ring. There is one spot where the screws have scratched back some of the "cement" and I can see some metal underneath.

On another note, I forgot to mention before, min focus distance is like ~3metres! Which I thought was a little far for this focal length. I keep forgetting to check infinity, might do that tomorrow if I have a chance and see if it is off at all.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rukmeister wrote:

On another note, I forgot to mention before, min focus distance is like ~3metres! Which I thought was a little far for this focal length.

I use some macro rings on and it brings the min focus quite close.

I've got some pictures, I'll sort them and upload them later.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pics straight from the camera, resized with no sharpening or colour/contrast adjustment.

I'm new to this MF stuff, and my new prism viewfinder screen is messing with the metering too - so a lot for me to work with!

All wide open, unless stated

4. f2.8

5 f5.6

6. f11

7. (click)
f22

f11

f5.6

f2.8

others here

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a bit of a resemblance to them isn't there... mine is a 49mm filter thread though, if I'm reading it right yours is 55? But that face plate ring does look very similar. Thanks for posting those.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rukmeister wrote:
There is a bit of a resemblance to them isn't there... mine is a 49mm filter thread though, if I'm reading it right yours is 55? But that face plate ring does look very similar. Thanks for posting those.

You're welcome. Yes, the filter ring is 55.