Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Home made light boxes
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:39 am    Post subject: Home made light boxes Reply with quote

I need a simple light box. Nothing fancy.
Has anyone made one? It needs to be big enough to photograph lenses and cameras.
I can't buy one local. So I thought I'd try to make one.Any ideas?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The simplest one is getting a white cardboard box or lining a brown one
with copy paper, cut 3 holes: one on top and each side for whatever lamps
you'll be placing near them which can be diffused by a layer or layers of
copy paper over the holes. Are you planning on using lamps or flash with optical triggers?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
copy paper over the holes. Are you planning on using lamps or flash with optical triggers?

Lamps to start with. My house is 70 years old. It is mostly updated, but the lighting hasn't been.
So it makes it real difficult to get good pictures of my lenses and cameras.

Thanks, I will try modifing a box, and see how it turns out.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for asking the question walter! Very Happy I was thinking a box lined with white paper...would a white sheet do?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheet would probably work better as this will have more diffusion and less risk of hot spots.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here I have some links for DIY lightboxes - probably you can get some ideas:
http://www.bonavolta.ch/hobby/en/photo/pviewer.htm
http://home.online.no/~gjon/diy.htm
http://www.bonavolta.ch/hobby/en/photo/fviewer.htm
http://www.photo-tipps.de/l_kasten/kasten.htm German language

I think one of the best solutions is Plexiglas Endlighten
http://www.plexiglas-magic.com/EN/Materialien/PLEXIGLAS_EndLighten.php5?highmain=11&highsub=0&highsubsub=0
But it is not cheap :-/

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's because I haven't had enough coffee yet this morning, but I'm a bit confused by your question. A light BOX is usually a translucent surface, lit from below, for viewing transparencies or negatives. You said, "It needs to be big enough to photograph lenses and cameras." Of course they could be placed on a light box to be lit from below, but I usually think of a light TENT or mini-studio for shooting gear.

A few days ago, I posted a link to the Digital Concepts Portable Lighting Studio which can be bought for about US$35. Is this more like what you were thinking of, or do I need more coffee?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Home made light boxes Reply with quote

walter g wrote:
It needs to be big enough to photograph lenses and cameras.

This is what clued me in that he meant a light tent.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

walter g wrote:
Katastrofo wrote:

Lamps to start with. My house is 70 years old. It is mostly updated, but the lighting hasn't been.
So it makes it real difficult to get good pictures of my lenses and cameras.

Thanks, I will try modifing a box, and see how it turns out.

Bill suggestion is perfect. Normal light bulb makes lot of hot , no good at all.
Simply energy saving bulb is cold source but 2700K need to shoot in RAW and adjust and sometimes still remain yellow or blue...

I found 4200K energy saving bulb , this is perfect need to over light and adjust back a bit in raw.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RioRico wrote:
Maybe it's because I haven't had enough coffee yet this morning, but I'm a bit confused by your question. A light BOX is usually a translucent surface, lit from below, for viewing transparencies or negatives. You said, "It needs to be big enough to photograph lenses and cameras." Of course they could be placed on a light box to be lit from below, but I usually think of a light TENT or mini-studio for shooting gear.

A few days ago, I posted a link to the Digital Concepts Portable Lighting Studio which can be bought for about US$35. Is this more like what you were thinking of, or do I need more coffee?

Sorry not trying to confuse anybody.But there are 2 types of light boxes.I need the second type.

The light tent or mini studio won't work for me. They use an exterior light source. I really don't have the extra room. I wish I did.
Here is a link to what I can't afford, but need. I want to build my own version.
http://www.obnphoto.com/item/X16D_light_box.html

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.Hopefully I will have time to put together one over the weekend.I will post results of how it turns out.
Good or bad. Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did some testing. The light box won't help. I either have a camera or software problem.
I moved some lighting around, and had the remote pretty well lit.I had focus confirm, clicked the shutter and all was good. Very Happy
I checked the pic on the screen before downloading and it looked fine. Very Happy
Then I downloaded it and this is the crap I wound up with. I've had this problem for several months, but put it down to bad lighting.
By the way my camera is a Pentax Optio A10.