Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Yashica ML 50:2 - cheap AND good
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:35 pm    Post subject: Yashica ML 50:2 - cheap AND good Reply with quote

Just received a nice Yashica ML 50:2 in the mail today and I am impressed. Nice and compact, light, sharp, good bokeh - and all for $13 shipped. The adapter cost more Smile

Couple of samples from the first hour.

Well since it is the winter doldrums, this is the best flower+bokeh shot I could come up with:

Not bad for portraits:

I notice nobody talks about this lens, but lots of people like the ML 50mm f1.9. Is there really any difference other than 1/6 stop?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am becoming a big fan of ml lenses. i have the 28/2.8 and the 28-85mm and think theyre great, esp for the price.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got this one too, and I have to agree, it's a hidden gem Smile Good for macro too, with tubes. It's deffo up there with the 28mm and 35mm MLs which I also have Smile

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone have the ml 50/1.4? very curious about that one...also about the 100-300...btw graham, is there a lens you dont have??!! Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
anyone have the ml 50/1.4? very curious about that one...also about the 100-300...btw graham, is there a lens you dont have??!! Laughing Laughing Laughing

I haven't got the ML 50/1.4 if it helps Embarassed Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 1.7 and the 2 - I think the 1.7 is sharper, but only just. Thef2 is definitely a lens that should be better known

patrickh

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
I have the 1.7 and the 2 - I think the 1.7 is sharper, but only just. Thef2 is definitely a lens that should be better known

patrickh

I was surprised as I had only heard of the f1.9, but a forum member told me the F2 was just as good. I think people are scared away by the aperture starting with a 2 instead of a 1 Smile

You can always get them for cheap on ebay. Right now there is one in the UK for 3 pounds and one in the US for $5 - both ending today. Better deal than the Helios 44s IMO.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, i will say vs helios it depends what youre looking for. helios is pretty sharp--sharp enough certainly for most informal pictures, but also have benefit i think of being 'atmospheric' or having a very distinct character.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Yashica's have similar optical designs to the Helios, but better coatings. Really, though, why argue about it. When you can get these cool little lenses for under $30 easily, just get some of both! Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THe ML 50/1.4 is a solid performer, solidly built, too and you can get in at "far away from solid" prices (to the cheapo side that is).
So yes, try it if you can get it for a few bucks!

(Side info: it's a 7/6 design and sports 8 iris blades ... given that an it's "ancestry" in the Yashica-lineup you should expect good results Smile)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Belatedly,

Yes I do!!!

Doug

rbelyell wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The f/2 is still something of a hidden gem, and what it gives to the f/1.9 is only psychological, not usable aperture. If I need a little speed, I'll stretch to the f/1.7 or the exceptional f/1.4, but the f/2 is a little delight. Pair it with the 28mm and then throw in the 135, and you have an excellent travel set.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 of my lens that I won't sell
1 that I like produced by ML 50/2