Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Zeiss Ikon Contaflex - Would this be a good one?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:22 am    Post subject: Zeiss Ikon Contaflex - Would this be a good one? Reply with quote

Zeiss Ikon Contaflex Compur-X Rangefinder Camera with a Tessar 50mm f/2.8 lens.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess Larry had one.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great lenses, but if shutter is defective, is a royal B to work on.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its a Contaflex its not a rangefinder, its an SLR with a fixed lens (well sort of, there are wide-angle and tele front element replacements ). These are quite common, there are always plenty on ebay.

The versions with the Tessar were the higher end of the line. Others had a three-element Pantar. I have one of the Pantar models, and its rather nice. Zeiss build, compact and cute for an SLR.

The problems are as said, they are between-the lens shutter slr's and therefore complex. Mine works, but who knows about whats on ebay. For what its worth their death rate apparently is not as bad as Kodak Retina Reflexes.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of different Contaflex models. one with a "Compur-X" is probably a late one - they dropped the M-synch for flasbulbs towards the end of the range's life.

I'd prefer a Retina Reflex to a Contaflex. I can't really agree with luisgalera that Contaflexes last better, the reality is that all the 1960s German leaf-shutter slrs are relatively fragile compared to a Pentax or a Nikon, and repairs have always been costly. I'm a bit biased towards Retinas because I had one and it never went wrong while I owned it. But a working Contaflex is probably going to be just as nice, so maybe the best plan is to identify the exact model and see what the price is.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeiss Ikon Contaflex 1962 by Nesster, on Flickr

Looks like one could get interchangeable backs for this Contaflex, allowing a mid-roll change. That's pretty cool.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes cool.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Dawg, Both of these cameras I've considered. I can't wait to see what you choose. Smile
Providing you do buy one.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just put a roll through a contaflex super I'm about to sell - It's a beautifully made camera and a joy to use. Images are superb from the tessar lens. What bugs me though is the non return mirror. Apart from that there great... if they work!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

walter g wrote:
Big Dawg, Both of these cameras I've considered. I can't wait to see what you choose. Smile

Bought a Kodak Retina Reflex Walter. Shots to come when It gets here.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110598706095&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xpres wrote:
I've just put a roll through a contaflex super I'm about to sell - It's a beautifully made camera and a joy to use. Images are superb from the tessar lens. What bugs me though is the non return mirror. Apart from that there great... if they work!

The if they work is a reoccurring theme with these isn't it?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

The if they work is a reoccurring theme with these isn't it?

I think that can go for any camera off the bay all come with that risk...and if you want it in working order you usually have to send it for the CLA.Don't worry till it is in your hands Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Dawg wrote:
walter g wrote:

Bought a Kodak Retina Reflex Walter. Shots to come when It gets here.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110598706095&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Big Dawg, Looks like you got a real nice one. It really does look mint.