Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

My £1 lens:-)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:26 pm    Post subject: My £1 lens:-) Reply with quote

I'm a firm believer in the saying that you don't get owt for nowt, so when I won this Sigma Z 135mm f2.8 for a whole 99p on EBay, I didn't expect much.

So, whilst I have so admit that it isn't as sharp as Canon L glass, it really isn't bad.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think it is safe to say you got more than your money's worth here. its not bad at all!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, the last one of the pond is brilliant. Whatever the lens, it takes a good photographer too Smile

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you can't do much wrong with any 135mm lens. And Sigma is not just "any"...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hards80 wrote:
i think it is safe to say you got more than your money's worth here. its not bad at all!

I didn't know you were over here too my friend. Good to see you.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: My £1 lens:-) Reply with quote

tikkathree wrote:
I'm a firm believer in the saying that you don't get owt for nowt, so when I won this Sigma Z 135mm f2.8 for a whole 99p on EBay, I didn't expect much.

So, whilst I have so admit that it isn't as sharp as Canon L glass, it really isn't bad.

A one pound lens but weighty photos. Well done!!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the pond pic is amazing. The lens is not bad but photog is excellent.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: My £1 lens:-) Reply with quote

tikkathree wrote:
that you don't get owt for nowt

There's another saying; we're two peoples separated by a common language.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: My £1 lens:-) Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
tikkathree wrote:

For the non Yorkshire out there........

"You don't get something for nothing"

Smile

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good to me, I have a sigma "pantel" 135mm and it's stuck wide open but seems to perform quite well wide open.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: My £1 lens:-) Reply with quote

martyn_bannister wrote:
woodrim wrote:
tikkathree wrote:

For the non Yorkshire out there........

"You don't get something for nothing"

Smile

Yarkshire? Yarkshire? Wet side o't Pennines please!!! Laughing Laughing

Alternatively, and this might work in any language/currency, "You can't sell a fiver for ten".

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bogolisk wrote:
the pond pic is amazing. The lens is not bad but photog is excellent.

Gosh, blush, thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Languages aside, it looks ok to me. I think the 3rd is overexposed though.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
I think the 3rd is overexposed though.

Yes, it is. My typical MF lens "guess the shutter speed and see how it looks" approach.
But there's something akin to a water colour in it and I'm pleased that the overexposure is confined to those leaves which were directly reflecting the suns rays and hasn't blown the whole image.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are still suprises out there for lenses...amongst my collection of cheapies is a mint Ozeck 75-250mm f4.5 that I used recently, and my copy is VG.