Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Flower with Flektogon 4/50, Volna-3 2.8/80, Samyang 1.4/85
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:02 pm    Post subject: Flower with Flektogon 4/50, Volna-3 2.8/80, Samyang 1.4/85 Reply with quote

I tried the samyang 1.4/85 and found its focusing distance a bit long : 1 meter. I know the 5D MkII advantage of its 21 MPixels full frame sensor and tried several abilities to shoot a flower.
As I wondered wether a P6 lens was different in its dof comparing to a 24x36mm, I took also the Carl Zeiss Jena Flektogon 4/50.
And, as a third companion, I took the Volna-3 2.8/80, also a P6 lens.

Here are the different shots on the 5D MkII at closest distance and then the 100% crops.

As usual, click on horizontal pictures to open them in better image quality and resolution.

1- Flek 4/50 - wide open at f4 - distance : 50cm

2- Volna-3 - wide open at f2.8 - distance : 60 cm

stopped at f4 :

3- Samyang 1.4/85 - wide open at f1.4 - distance : 1 meter

stopped at f2.8 :

4- The 100% crops :
Flek 4/50

Volna-3 2.8/80

Samyang 1.4/85

So, the Flektogon has a very good image quality and is quite flexible.
The Volna-3 is very good and very creative. Its quality is also very good wide open, and even better when stopped down.
The Samyang is not very good considering the min focusing distance. But its sharpness and IQ is astonishing wide open at f1.4 ! This very, very good IQ gives me the opportunity to crop when needed.

These three lenses behave very well on the 5D MkII.

Cheers,
Smile

Last edited by Olivier on Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:09 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice samples from each lens.Which would you prefer over the other?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

euuuhhhhhh....... good question... Laughing

It depends...
For flowers' painting, I would pick the Volna-3.
For walkaround, the Flek.
For inside shooting and portrait, the Samyang.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the interesting series Olivier

patrickh