Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

SMC Pentax-M 28/2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:55 pm    Post subject: SMC Pentax-M 28/2.8 Reply with quote

Hi there
i just found out a SMC Pentax-M 28mm f/2.8 selling for 30€. I was looking around for a fastish and normalish lens on aps-c sensor, as i own a EOS dSLR. I was interested in MIR-24N but it's not like i'm spending over 100€ for a manual, aged russian lens, even if I'm loving the vintage rendering of such lenses.
Now, i know 2.8 is not that wide an aperture, but it's also true that the price is kinda bargain.
Otherwise, i also found a nikkor 35/2.8 ai for 90€, but that's a price that's hardly lower than the MIR's.

p.s. ever heard of a Bower 28mm/2.8??

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 28mm Pentax you refer to is a great lens, but you need to stop it down a click or two for best performance. It is a very small lens with a low profile.

I use mine for nightshots on my Pentax K20d at 800iso. Everyone who sees it thinks it is cute, almost a pancake. It may not be a perfect lens, but it is so small and useful. It fits neatly in my pocket. I'm very glad I have one.

Last edited by Jeff Zen on Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:19 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have this lens and I really like it.
If the copy is in good condition, go for it at that price!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ciao, benvenuto sul forum ...

There are two versions of the Pentax-M 28/2.8: the difference, anyway, is more relevant to Pentax users than to other brands users ...

The price is not excessive for this lens, it's IQ is nothing special, my Pentax-K 28/3.5 performs much much better, but it costs more, too ...

I'm not an EOS expert (using one since a month), but, if i were you, i would check that there is no mirror issue with the lens focusing at infinity ...

The MIR-24 is a 35mm lens, so it would perform like a 56mm on an EOS (crop factor of 1.6), while the 28mm will perform like a 45mm ... If you decide to go for a 35mm, you could try to find a Takumar 35/2, which is really sharp and has a nice bokeh (it stayed on my K10D until i bought my FA-31) and should cost less than 100 euros ...

And yes, i have seen some Bower 28/2.8, but i have never used one or seen sample pics ...

Hope this helps ...

Cheers

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
I used to have this lens and I really like it.
If the copy is in good condition, go for it at that price!

Well, apparently i have a bad copy of the 28/2.8 Evil or Very Mad (or i don't know how to properly use it) ...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

indianadinos wrote:
Ciao, benvenuto sul forum ...

There are two versions of the Pentax-M 28/2.8: the difference, anyway, is more relevant to Pentax users than to other brands users ...

The price is not excessive for this lens, it's IQ is nothing special, my Pentax-K 28/3.5 performs much much better, but it costs more, too ...

I'm not an EOS expert (using one since a month), but, if i were you, i would check that there is no mirror issue with the lens focusing at infinity ...

The MIR-24 is a 35mm lens, so it would perform like a 56mm on an EOS (crop factor of 1.6), while the 28mm will perform like a 45mm ... If you decide to go for a 35mm, you could try to find a Takumar 35/2, which is really sharp and has a nice bokeh (it stayed on my K10D until i bought my FA-31) and should cost less than 100 euros ...

And yes, i have seen some Bower 28/2.8, but i have never used one or seen sample pics ...

Hope this helps ...

Cheers

thank you very much for your welcome and for the detailed explanation. As far as i am aware, K-mount lenses will fit properly APS-C Eos cameras.

I do worry about IQ but i want to keep an eye over budget, i know, that's odd. I'm stuck with a 18-55 kit lens which opens from f/3,5 to 5,6 at telephoto position, so, pretty slow.
i own the canon 50 prime and it's ok. i want some good prime lens that are fast enough to overtake my kit lens. That one is ok for walkaround but often too slow for street photography, and not so sharp.
I saw many 24, 28, 35mm and these are the focal lenghts i'm looking at. I don't worry bout the different FOV, but i do care about IQ and bokeh. I need a vintage personality. S-Tak 35/2 seems a good choice too, but i heard it's "hot".