Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Exacta mount lenses - not many adapters about?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:37 pm    Post subject: Exacta mount lenses - not many adapters about? Reply with quote

I picked this up so cheaply I might just use it as a paperweight. It would be nice to give it a run though but unless I'm shaping wooden, there don't seem to be many exacta to EOS adapters about?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theoretically possible. Exakta register is 44.7mm, canon EOS is 44.0mm (from HERE)

Only 0.7mm to play with and a bayonet into a bayonet. I have seen threads here and elsewhere describing various solutions. I believe those that exist are expensive though.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martyn_bannister wrote:
Theoretically possible. Exakta register is 44.7mm, canon EOS is 44.0mm (from HERE)

Only 0.7mm to play with and a bayonet into a bayonet. I have seen threads here and elsewhere describing various solutions. I believe those that exist are expensive though.

Maybe that's why it cost less than £1 then. Paperweight anyone?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are plenty of Exakta-Canon/EOS adapters. Most seem rather expensive.

Quality seems to vary. Not all work with all lenses apparently. There are plenty here with experience with these.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the second photo do I see holes in the mount used for twisting on & off the exacta bayonet, also an M42 auto-diaphragm pin? Could that be an M42 lens with an exacta adapter? Yes, I think it is! There is also an A-M diaphragm switch!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right, thats not an Exakta mount. No locking lug, and is there is a cutout on one of the flanges? Some other M42 adapter then ?

I don't think an M42-Exakta adapter is possible, at least not with infinity focus, as the Exakta mount is too narrow (38mm) to permit any part of the M42 thread to enter.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This doesn't look like a native Exakta mount to me. There's no pin I can see to engage in the lens arresting lever on the camera lens mount, and the absence of an external stop down mechanism suggests that it's not a Varex type, but it could be either Topcon (which I'm not familiar with), or the RTL type Exakta mouint, which has an internal stop down pin, but which is located outside the bayonet mount, not inside it as seen here. As I recall, the Exakta bayonet was rather narrow in diameter. Are you quite certain it is Exakta fit?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex wrote:
This doesn't look like a native Exakta mount to me.......

Are you quite certain it is Exakta fit?

Er, no I'm not actually. I think the auction listing mentioned Exacta but I'm such a MF beginner... let's have a look... Auto Optomax 1:3.5 f=200mm 58 diameter filter thread No220662 and at the other end yes, there is a short pin in board of the flange. Would a better photo showing the lugs help?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not Exakta.

Klaus

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
In the second photo do I see holes in the mount used for twisting on & off the exacta bayonet, also an M42 auto-diaphragm pin? Could that be an M42 lens with an exacta adapter? Yes, I think it is! There is also an A-M diaphragm switch!

Good spot! Certainly worth giving it a mighty twist to see if it will unscrew Twisted Evil

Closer look. Is it fitted with an M42/Minolta adapter? There is an off-centre cutout in one of the bayonet lugs. The red "M" on the side might mean it's a native Minolta mount, or it could describe the adapter? Certainly the pin looks to be in a strange position in relation to the bayonet. Too close to it?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martyn_bannister wrote:

Closer look. Is it fitted with an M42/Minolta adapter? There is an off-centre cutout in one of the bayonet lugs. The red "M" on the side might mean it's a native Minolta mount, or it could describe the adapter? Certainly the pin looks to be in a strange position in relation to the bayonet. Too close to it?

Okay, very quick update. The bright metal flange bit has two grubscrew holes to secure it to the back of the lens. The holes aren't currently occupied so there could be a threaded ring mount, maybe there's adhesive. It desn't respond to an application of pressure. I've got to go out shortly but will return to this challenge later.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Minolta mount..try using a rubber glove for better grip or leather belt...both worked for me when I could not get equal pressure... Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
I think Minolta mount..try using a rubber glove for better grip or leather belt...both worked for me when I could not get equal pressure... Very Happy

I don't know how much force you had to apply. Earlier today I got some penetrating liquid into what looks like the threaded join between the black lens body and the bright metal part. I've just had pipe wrenches onto the edge of the bright metal part and tried gentle force and shock force. No give.
I assume the thead isn't counter-clockwise and I may resort to popping it into the freezer to see what that does to the penetrating liquid.

This £1 lens won't get the better of me.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not have to apply to much force it was getting a decent grip that made the difference.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are spanners available for this type of nut. One can be fashioned from cheap calipers or drafting dividers or made from a piece of bar stock ground away between points that fit into the holes in the adapter. I'm fairly certain this is a M42 lens with M42-Minolta MD adapter with standard right-hand thread.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tikkathree wrote:
mo wrote:

I don't know how much force you had to apply. Earlier today I got some penetrating liquid into what looks like the threaded join between the black lens body and the bright metal part. I've just had pipe wrenches onto the edge of the bright metal part and tried gentle force and shock force. No give.
I assume the thead isn't counter-clockwise and I may resort to popping it into the freezer to see what that does to the penetrating liquid.

This £1 lens won't get the better of me.

It will be a standard thread so it WILL unscrew counter clockwise. Pity you haven't got a Minolta body or teleconverter, you could get a decent purchase on it then. A felt rag soaked in boiling water and then wrung out could be used to apply gentle heat to the adapter alone. That might help.