Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

GAF L-ES2 (Chinon Memotron CE II)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:22 pm    Post subject: GAF L-ES2 (Chinon Memotron CE II) Reply with quote

Click here to see on Ebay
I don't really know why I keep buying cameras but this one is well-reputed and was going relatively cheap, especially with the f1.4 lens attached. I will sell the lens separately and probably double what I spent on the lot in total. This gaf is a re-branding of the chinon memotron II. The full set of features is impressive. The 1/2000th top speed is rather uncommon for a screw mount camera. I only know of maybe 3 or 4 that have that.

You can check the specs here: http://anusf.anu.edu.au/~aab900/photography/cameras/chinon.htm

I can't wait to get it!

~Marc

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a smooth looking camera and the bag is a good buy at that price as well!!
I don't know much about these cameras so lots of photos when you get it please.. Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume it will need a thorough CLA. These cameras generally have the dreaded sticky foam. But I will do my best to get it up and running soon.

I'm actually surprised more people haven't commented. The CE-3 is a favorite in this forum and this camera is the worthy predecessor.

The memotron II was even re-branded by Alpa as the si2000: http://www.alpareflex.com/Cameras/Si2000.htm

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two of them, both with the same problems. Light seals had to be replaced. And the lightmeter needle did not give the right shutterspeed. But both realized in fact the right shutterspeed perfectly. Not very comfortable, I need the lightmeter to know what really happens.
Sturdy cameras. The 55mm 1.4 Chinon lenses had sticky apertures when they came.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently picked up one of the Chinon Multi-Coated 1.4/55 lenses that was sold along with the memotron. Was at a BIN price of $20 because of sticky blades. Fixed it up and it sold for $150. The return on those 1.4s are superb!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the restored copy here: http://forum.mflenses.com/restored-gaf-l-es-2-chinon-memotron-ce-ii-t32755.html

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

themoleman342 wrote:
I recently picked up one of the Chinon Multi-Coated 1.4/55 lenses that was sold along with the memotron. Was at a BIN price of $20 because of sticky blades. Fixed it up and it sold for $150. The return on those 1.4s are superb!

Way to go.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have that chinon cam.

I bought it like new near a year ago, from an old men that can´t see well to use cams.

It's in mint condition, and all in it is OK. The meter, perfect; the shutter, perfect too. Very nice to hold, it's heavy enought to give me an excelent support to my lenses.

Very clear and sharp viewfinder.

I don't use the chinon lens (although it came with the 1,7 normal lens and it's good), but the SMC 1,4/50.

I'm very happy with the cam. I hope yo can be happy too.

But with the old cams, who know.

Rino.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CE-2 has evaded me. My CE-3 is fantastic. I can live without 1/2000 as most of my shooting on film is still life.